- 1.ROOT PACKAGE INFO
- 2.Known Bugs/Issues
- 3. WARNING!
- 4. GUIDE: ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY MEGA 5.8
ROOT PACKAGE INFO
|Name||Odin Flashable Kernel|
|Stability||Stable without any issues.|
|Root Manager App||SuperUser. It manages root permissions for apps on the device.|
[As of February 14, 2014]
- You cannot update Superuser from Google Play Store.
Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page.
You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
GUIDE: ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY MEGA 5.8
Before you begin with the instructions below, make sure your android device is adequately charged — at least 50% battery of the device.
STEP 0: CHECK DEVICE MODEL NO.
To make sure your device is eligible with this, you must first confirm its model no. in ‘About device’ option under Settings. Another way to confirm model no. is by looking for it on the packaging box of your device. It must be GT-I9150!
Please know that this page is meant for Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 with model no. GT-I9150 only. Do not use the procedures discussed here on other device of Samsung or any other company. You have been warned!
STEP 1: BACKUP YOUR DEVICE
Back up important data and stuff before you start playing around here as there are chances you might lose your apps and app-data (app settings, game progress, etc.), and in rare case, files on the internal memory, too.
For help on Backup and Restore, check out our exclusive page on that linked right below.
STEP 2: INSTALL LATEST DRIVER
You must have proper and working driver installed on your windows computer to be able to successfully root your Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8.
In case you’re not sure, follow the link below for a definitive guide for installing driver for your Samsung device on your computer.
STEP 3: INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Download the Pre-Rooted Kernel file given below and transfer it to a separate folder on your computer (just to keep things tidy, that is).
PRE ROOTED KERNEL
DOWNLOAD LINK | File name: I9152-JB_4.2.2-boot.tar (6.47 MB)
DOWNLOAD LINK | File name: Odin_v3.09.zip (972 KB)
Example video: If you haven’t used Odin before to flash a file on your phone before, then we suggest you first watch a video of that to get familiar with the process. The video demonstrates flashing of a Recovery on Galaxy S3, but since the procedure is same, the video will help: Click here to watch the video
Important Note: Backup important files stored on internal SD card of your device, so that in case a situation arises requiring you to do a factory reset after flashing with Odin, which might delete internal sd card too, your files will remain safe on PC.
- Extract/Unzip the Odin file, Odin_v3.09.zip on your computer (using 7-zip free software, preferably). You’ll get the following files:
- Odin3 v3.09.exe
- Download the kernel file, I9152-JB_4.2.2-boot.tar and place it in the same folder where you extracted the Odin files. You’ll have the following files in the folder now:
- Odin3 v3.09.exe
- Disconnect the Galaxy Mega 5.8 from PC if it is connected.
- Double-click the Odin3 v3.09.exe file to open Odin.
- Boot your Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 into Download Mode:
- Connect your Galaxy Mega 5.8 to PC. Odin window will show an Added!! message in bottom left box. Odin’s screen would look like this:
If you don’t get the Added! message, here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure you have installed driver for Galaxy Mega 5.8 as said above.
- If you have already installed driver, then uninstall them and re-install back.
- Connect using a different USB port on your PC.
- Try a different USB cable. The original cable that came with your phone should work best, if not, try any other cable that’s new and of good quality.
- Reboot phone and PC and then try again.
- Load the firmware file (extracted in Step 1) into Odin as instructed below:
- Now in the Option section of Odin, make sure that Re-Partition box is unchecked. (Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time boxes remain checked, while all other boxes remain unchecked.)
- Double check the above two steps. (Step 7 and Step 8)
- Click the Start button to begin flashing, and wait until you see a PASS! message in Odin’s top left box.
- When you get PASS! message, your phone will restart automatically. You can then disconnect your phone from PC.
If you see FAIL message instead of the PASS in Odin’s top left box, that’s a problem. Try this now: disconnect your Galaxy Mega 5.8 from PC, close Odin, remove phone’s battery and put it back inside in 3-4 seconds, open Odin and then repeat from Step 3 of this guide again.
Also, If device is Stuck at setup connection or on any other process, then too, try this: disconnect your Galaxy Mega 5.8 from PC, close Odin, remove phone’s battery and put it back inside in 3-4 seconds, open Odin and then repeat from Step 3 of this guide again.
That’s all. If you need help regarding this, feel free to ask us in comments below.
It was easy to root your Galaxy Mega 5.8 with Odin, right? Let us know how you plan to use root privileges on your Galaxy Mega 5.8.
Your suggestions and queries, if any, are most welcomed!