Finally, after about a month of the LG Optimus 4X HD was released, root access has been achieved on the device. It’s not normal for a flagship device to take so much time before someone is able to root it, so it seems the Optimus 4X HD is an exception to that rule.
The guide below will walk you through the steps for rooting your Optimus 4X HD so that you can use root-enabled apps and access system files on your phone. Keep in mind that rooting can void your warranty (as can any other such modification), so make sure you’re okay with that before continuing.
Let’s take a look at how you can root your Optimus 4X HD.
The guide below is compatible only and only with the LG Optimus 4X HD.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Root LG Optimus 4X HD
- First, download and install the drivers for the phone on your computer. You will need to unzip/extract the downloaded file, then install the drivers.
- Download the HTC One X Toolkit (the toolkit is for HTC devices but needs to be used here to root the phone).
Download Toolkit | Filename: onxr.zip
- Extract the contents of the onxr.zip file to a convenient location on your computer.
- Download the IS11LG_SystemBackupTest.signed.apk file and copy it to your phone.
- On your phone, do the following:
- Go to Settings » Security and enable Unknown sources (make sure its ticked).
- Go to Settings » Developer options and enable USB Debugging (make sure its ticked).
- Now, using a file manager (you can install OI file manager from the Play Store), browse to where you copied the IS11LG_SystemBackupTest.signed.apk file on the phone, then tap it to install an app called SystemBackupTest.
- Then, after installation of press and hold the power button on the phone, then select the Power off and restart option to restart the phone. Once the phone boots up, you’ll notice that it has become very slow, which is normal.
- Connect your phone to the computer and wait for the drivers to get installed again.
- Open the folder where you extracted the contents of the onxr.zip file in step 3, then right-click on the file named “root” and click on Run as adminstrator to start the rooting procedure.
- During the rooting procedure, the phone will automatically reboot 3 times. Once the rooting procedure is finished, the window that showed up during the root process will close automatically. If it doesn’t close itself, you can close it manually.
- Now, search for “SuperSu” on the Play Store and install it. SuperSU is the app that will allow you to grant root access to apps.
- Open SuperSU from the apps menu on the phone after installing it.
- Press OK when prompted to update the SU binary. After the binary has been updated, you can close SuperSU.
- You can now uninstall the SystemBackupTest app from your phone (from Settings » Apps).
Your LG Optimus 4X HD is now successfully rooted and any root-enabled app can be given root permission by pressing the Grant button when prompted. Have fun!