Root Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ — Guide
The Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ has started shipping, and some folks have already received it and enjoying Amazon’s latest low-cost yet formidable tablet. No doubt many will be looking to root their new 8.9″ tablet as soon as they get it, and a root method is thankfully already available for the tablet.
XDA member mdblaze was able to root his Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ using the Bin4ry Root Tool that has existed for quite some time, and even though it doesn’t specifically support the new Kindle, the root exploit for Sony tablets was found to work with the tablet, allowing mdblaze to gain root access.
So if you’ve bought an Kindle Fire HD 8.9″, we have a guide ready to help you root it, and even un-root it if the need arises. It’s quite simple really, so continue reading.
How to Root Kindle Fire HD 8.9″
- First, you’ll need to have the drivers for the tablet installed on your computer. Download the zip file from the link below, then extract and run the executable file from it to install the drivers.
- Download the Bin4ry Root Tool.
Download Root Tool
- Extract the contents of the Root Tool’s .zip file to a convenient location on your computer.
- On your Kindle Fire HD 8.9″, enable ADB from the Settings » Security menu.
- Connect your tablet to the computer, then wait for the drivers to finish installing.
- Now, open the folder where you extract the tool’s files in step 3, and double-click on the RunMe file to open the root tool.
- In the window that opens up, type 2 and press Enter to select the “Special” option.
- Then, type 1 and press Enter to select the “Root” option, and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the root process.
- To unroot, simply open the root tool by following step 6, then type in x and press Enter to select the “Unroot” option, then follow the instructions for unrooting the tablet. Unrooting should take only a few seconds.
Your Kindle Fire HD 8.9 should now be rooted, and you can enjoy using it and make any root-level changes that you wish. Do let us know how the procedure works for you!