An Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 firmware was recently leaked for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket that we covered here. Now, we have prepared a guide that you can use to root the ICS firmware. It will also give your ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery, which can be used to flash custom ROMs and hacks.
Read on to find out how you can root the Ice Cream Sandwich firmware on Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.
This hack and the guide below are compatible only and only with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2Skyrocket, model number i727. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- Important! Galaxy S2 Skyrocket running the UCALC4 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware.
- If you have Samsung’s PC software Kies installed, un-install it first because it may interrupt the flashing process.
- Drivers! — it’s important you’ve the proper drivers installed.
How to Root and Install CWM Recovery on Galaxy S2 Skyrocket ICS Firmware
Part I: Installing CWM Recovery (Required before rooting)
- Download the CWM package.
Download Link | Filename: SkyrocketCWMrecovery.tar
- Download Odin 1.85 from → here.
Filename: Odin 1.85.zip | Size: 199 KB
- Extract the contents of the Odin 1.85.zip file to a folder.
- Open Odin (from step 3) — double-click the Odin3 v1.85.exe that you got after extracting the file Odin 1.85.zip.
- Now, boot into download mode on the phone. To do this, turn off your phone. Plug in your USB cable to the computer, but not to the phone. Then, holding the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons on the phone, plug in the USB cable to the phone while holding those buttons. Once the Download mode screen shows up, let go of the buttons.
- You should get the message “Added!” under Odin’s message box in the bottom left. If you don’t get this message, then probably there is a problem with drivers. Make sure you’ve proper drivers installed. See point 3 above under Pre-Installation Requirements.
- In Odin, click the PDA tab, and select the file SkyrocketCWMrecovery.tar (from step 1).
- Important! Do not make any other changes in Odin except selecting the required files as given in step 7. Leave all other options as they are.
- Now hit the START button to start flashing Clockworkmod recovery on your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. After flashing is complete, the phone will reboot, and you’ll get a PASS message (with green background) in Odin. You can now safely disconnect your phone.
IMPORTANT Note: If ODIN gets stuck and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, or you get a FAIL message (with red background) in ODIN, do the following – disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, then do the procedure again from Step 4.
Part II: Root the ICS Firmware
- Download the root package.
Download Link | Filename: Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip
- Transfer the Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip file to your internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons till the first white Samsung text shows up, then let them go. You’ll boot into recovery soon enough. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip on the next screen.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone. You now have a rooted UCALC4 ICS firmware on your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.
That’s it. Following the above procedure, you can get root access and Clockworkmod recovery on your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket on the Ice Cream Sandwich firmware. Do let us know if you run into any problems, and we’ll do our best to help you out.