It took a few days, but the development community has finally achieved root access on the recently released Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G. Recognized XDA developer k0nane has released a pre-rooted stock kernel for the Galaxy S Blaze, which you can flash on your phone with Samsung’s Odin software to get root access. The kernel will make no other changes to your device, except rooting it, so it’s completely safe to use.
Read on to find out how you can root your Galaxy S Blaze 4G with Odin.
This hack and the guide below are compatible only and only with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- If you have Samsung’s PC software Kies installed, un-install it first because it may interrupt the flashing process.
- Make sure you have the proper drivers for the phone installed on your computer.
How to Root Galaxy S Blaze 4G
- Download the rooted kernel.
Download Link | Filename: blaze-root-kernel.tar
- Download the PIT file.
Download Link | Filename: blaze.pit
- Download ODIN, which is the software you need to flash the kernel on your phone.
Download Link | Filename: odin-185.zip
- Extract the odin-185.zip file to a convenient location on your computer.
- Open Odin (from step 3) — double-click the Odin 1.85.exe that you got after extracting the file odin-185.zip.
- In Odin, do the following:
- Click the PDA tab, then select the blaze-root-kernel.tar you obtained in step 1.
- Click the PIT tab, then select the blaze.pit file you downloaded in step 2.
- Important! Do NOT touch/change any other option in Odin, except selecting the PDA and PIT files as given in step 6. Make sure the Re-Partition and F. Reset Time options in Odin are NOT checked (i.e not selected). Only the Auto Reboot option should be checked, all other options should be unchecked.
- Now, turn off your Galaxy S Blaze 4G, then boot into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together, till the screen turns on and shows you a Warning! screen. Let go of the buttons, then press the Volume Up button to enter download mode.
- Connect the phone to the computer. You should get the message “Added!” under Odin’s message box in the bottom left. If you don’t get this message, then probably there is a problem with drivers. Make sure you’ve proper drivers installed.
- Click START to start flashing the rooted kernel on your Galaxy S Blaze 4G. After the flashing is complete, the phone will automatically reboot. You’ll also get a PASS message in ODIN. You can now safely disconnect your phone from the computer.
IMPORTANT Note: If ODIN gets stuck and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, or you get a FAIL message (with red background) in ODIN, do the following – disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, then do the procedure again from Step 5.
That’s it. Once your phone reboots, your Galaxy S Blaze 4G will be rooted. You can now use all the root-enabled apps as your heart desires. Do let us know how it works out for you, in the comments below.