Root for FB27 Epic 4G Touch [Ice Cream Sandwich]
The Samsung Epic 4G Touch received FB27, an Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 firmware, the latest in a series of ICS leaks for it. And now, thanks to XDA member Calkulin, you can flash a pre-rooted FB27 (with no other changes) from ClockworkMod recovery instead of needing to use Odin to try FB27.
Do keep in mind that this is based on an unofficial leaked firmware, so expect bugs and issues to be present. Let’s get on with the flashing procedure of the FB27 firmware on your Epic 4G Touch.
This firmware and the guide below is compatible only and only with Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!
- An Epic 4G Touch with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android Backup Guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How To Install Rooted FB27 Firmware on Epic Touch 4G
- Download the ROM file from the original XDA thread. Get the “Stock Rooted FB27 ROM” version.
- Transfer the downloaded ROM file to the root of internal SD card on your phone.
- Now power off the phone and boot to Clockworkmod Recovery.
- [Optional] Once in recovery, perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, in CWM, select Backup and Restore → On the next screen, Select Backup again.
- Perform a full wipe.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm data wipe.
- Go to “mounts and storage”, then select “format system”. Select “Yes” on next screen to confirm. Then go back to the main recovery menu after system format is complete.
- Now, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file you transferred to the phone in step 2 and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes — Install ____.zip”. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
Wait a while for the ROM to boot up, then enjoy Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 on your Epic Touch 4G with rooted FB27 firmware. Share your thoughts in the comments.