Root Droid 3 on 5.7.906 OTA Update
The Motorola Droid 3 received a leaked OTA update that updates the phone to firmware version 5.7.906, with Android 2.3.4, which we covered with the full procedure. Those who have flashed it and want to obtain root access can follow this step by step guide to do just that. Read on to find out how.
This hack and the guide below is compatible only and only with the Verizon Droid 3. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
- Important! A Droid 3 running the 5.7.906 firmware. Get the update from → here.
- USB drivers for the phone installed on your computer. You can get the drivers from → here
- USB Debugging enabled. Enable it by going to Settings » Applications » Development and ticking the USB Debugging option.
How to Root Droid 3 5.7.906 Firmware
- Download the root tool.
Download Link 1 | Download Link 2 | Filename: motofail_windows.zip
- Extract the downloaded file to get a folder named motofail with some files inside (as shown in screenshot below).
- Connect your phone to the computer. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled as noted in the pre-installation requirements.
- Now, while phone is connected, double-click the run.bat file from the motofail folder you obtained in step 2.
- Then, follow the onscreen instructions to root your Droid 3 running the 5.7.906 update.
That’s it. If all goes well, you will have a fully rooted 5.7.906 firmware on your Droid 3. Share your thoughts in the comments.