UCLF5 is the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware leaked for the AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. If you have flashed it and would like to root and install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery on it, the guide below will help you do just that, with step-by-step instructions. Rooting lets you access system files and apps that needs root access to work, while ClockworkMod recovery will let you flash any custom ROM or modification that you may wish to flash.
Read on to find out how you can root and install CWM recovery on UCLF5 firmware on AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.
This guide below is compatible only and only with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, model number i727. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Root and Install ClockworkMod Recovery on AT&T Skyrocket UCLF5 Firmware
Part I: Installing ClockworkMod Recovery
- Install the UCLF5 firmware on your phone by following the guide → here. Skip this step if you are already on the UCLF5 firmware.
- Download and install drivers for the phone on your computer. Skip this step if you already installed the drivers while following step 1.
Download Drivers | Alternate Link
- Download Odin 1.85 from → here.
Filename: Odin 1.85.zip | Size: 199 KB
- Extract the contents of the Odin 1.85.zip file to a folder.
- Download the ClockworkMod recovery file.
Download CWM Recovery | Filename: SkyrocketCWMrecovery.tar
- Open Odin — double-click the Odin3 v1.85.exe that you got after extracting the file Odin 1.85.zip.
- Now, boot into download mode on the phone. To do this, turn off your phone. Plug in your USB cable to the computer, but not to the phone. Then, holding the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons on the phone, plug in the USB cable to the phone while holding those buttons. Once the Download mode screen shows up (the screen will show the text Downloading), let go of the buttons.
- In ODIN, click on the PDA button, then select the SkyrocketCWMrecovery.tar file downloaded in step 5.
- Important! Do not make any other changes in Odin except selecting the required file as given in step 8. Leave all other options as they are.
- Now, hit the START button to start flashing ClockworkMod recovery. When the flashing is complete, your phone will automatically reboot — and when you see the Samsung logo, you can safely unplug the cable. Plus, you’ll get a PASS (with green background) message in the left-most box at the very top of the Odin. What to do if Odin gets stuck: If ODIN gets stuck and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, or you get a FAIL message (with red background) in ODIN, disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, then do the procedure again from step 6.
Part II: Rooting UCLF5
- Download the root file.
Download Root | Filename: icsSuperuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip
- Copy the icsSuperuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip to the internal SD card on the phone. Do not extract it.
- Turn off the phone, then boot into CWM recovery. For this, press and hold these 3 buttons together until Samsung’s screen shows up: Volume UP + Volume Down + Power. Phone will boot into CWM recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power/home key to select an option.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the icsSuperuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install icsSuperuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip on the next screen.
- The file may fail to install the first time. If that happens, simply repeat step 4 till the file gets installed.
- After installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
Your phone is now rooted, and also has ClockworkMod recovery installed on the UCLF5 firmware. Let us know how it all works for you, in the comments below.