rj’s kernel is a custom kernel for the international Galaxy Player 5.0, that provides improved performance on Gingerbread based ROMs, along with other useful features as listed below:
- Overclock to 1.2Ghz and undervolt capabilities (use SetCPU or another software for UV).
- ext4 support
- ClockWorkMod recovery
- Custom bootanimation support
- Swap support
We have prepared an installation guide that you can use to flash rj’s custom kernel on your Galaxy Player 5.0. Keep in mind that this works only on Gingerbread based ROMs, so don’t try it on Ice Cream Sandwich based custom ROMs.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the international Galaxy Player 5.0, model number YP-G70. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t completely know what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- Important! Drivers! — You will need to install Samsung’s Kies software on your computer for installing the device drivers.
How to install rj’s Kernel on Galaxy Player 5
- Download the kernel.
Download Link | Filename: YP-G70-Kernel-r14.tar
- Download Odin, which will be used to flash the kernel on your device.
Download Link | Filename: Odin3 v1.7.exe
- Open Odin — double-click the Odin3 v1.7.exe file that you downloaded in step 2.
- Turn off the device. Then, boot into Download mode. To do so, connect the USB cable to the computer, but not to the device. Then, while holding the Volume Down key, insert the USB cable to the device. Remember, you have to hold the volume down key while plugging in the USB cable to the device.
- Odin will now say Added!! in the message on the bottom left. If it does not, make sure the drivers for the device are properly installed.
- Now, click the PDA tab in Odin, then select the YP-G70-Kernel-r14.tar file that you downloaded in step 1.
- Important! Do not touch any other button or make any other changes in Odin except selecting the required file as given in step 6.
- Click the Start button in Odin to flash rj’s kernel on your Galaxy Player 5.
- After the kernel is installed, the phone will restart automatically. When you see PASS written in top left box, you can disconnect the phone from the computer.
IMPORTANT Note: If ODIN gets stuck at some stage and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, do this — disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, turn phone on in Download mode again, and do the procedure again from Step 3. Same if you get a FAIL message in Odin.
- If you encounter any problems while flashing the kernel, let us know and we’ll help you out.
That’s it. rj’s custom kernel is now installed on your Galaxy Player 5. Share your thoughts on how the kernel works for you and whether you notice performance improvements after flashing it, in the comments below.