The HTC Rezound is certainly getting a lot of attention from the developer community these days. It is not too often that we get to write about two different custom Ice Cream Sandwich roms, for the same device, on the same day. But who’s complaining? It is Ice Cream Sandwich season, after all.
XDA member dmeadows013 has just released a new custom ROM which is based on the AOSP code for Ice Cream Sandwich or Android 4.0. The ROM is still in Beta status, meaning, bugs should be expected.
At this point, key things like Data, Phone, Camera, Bluetooth, Texting and WiFi do not work and are work-in-progress, but should be ironed out soon enough. So it’s definitely not suitable for daily usage. You can still try it out, to get a flavor of pure Ice Cream Sandwich on your Rezound, though, and keep an eye on the development thread linked below to remain abreast of developments.
The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!!
This ROM is compatible only and only with the HTC Rezound. Please do not attempt to flash it on any other device. We are not responsible for any damage that may be caused to your device.
- Rooted/S-off HTC Rezound with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Back up all your personal data. You can use this excellent Android Backup Guide as reference.
- Fully Charged battery
- All the proper HTC drivers installed on your PC
The installation is split into two parts; Part 1– Flashing the actual ROM & Part 2– Flashing the kernel
PART ONE- Flashing the ROM zip
- Download the ROM zip file (link provided above) and transfer it to the root of the external sdcard of your Rezound
- Power off the phone, and reboot into Clockworkmod Recovery mode.
- In the recovery menu, perform a full wipe as follows
- Select Wipe data/Factory reset –> then on the next screen Select Yes – Wipe Data
- Select Wipe cache partition–> then on the next screen Select Yes – Wipe Cache partition
- Select Advanced from the main menu–>then Select Wipe Dalvik cache –> Yes – Wipe dalvik cache
- Now return to the main menu, and select Install zip from sd card » Choose zip from sd card, and then select the rom’s zip file you transferred to the sdcard in Step 1.
- On the next screen, confirm the installation by selecting Yes. Clockworkmod recovery will now flash the Ice Cream Sandwich based Pure ICS rom now on your Rezound.
- Once the flashing is completed, go back and select reboot system now.
- Once the device has rebooted, you should be running Pure ICS and drowning in Ice Cream Sandwich sweetness. Enjoy!
PART TWO- Flashing the Kernel
- Download the prebuilt kernel zip for your specific OS (Windows, Mac OSX, or Linux)
- Unzip the file
- Open Command Prompt or Terminal, depending on your operating system.
- On your device, reboot to HBOOT (Volume Down + Power when device is off)
- Select the Fastboot option on your device’s HBOOT menu (You will know you are in HBOOT if your device has a red-highlighted banner that says ‘FASTBOOT‘ or ‘FASTBOOT USB’)
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable
- When the red banner mentioned above says ‘FASTBOOT USB‘, proceed to the next step
- Run the following commands on command prompt/terminal
- cd *Path/to/your/downloaded/kernel/folder*
- fastboot.exe flash boot boot.img
(For OSX and Linux)
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
That’s it. Once the flashing is complete, disconnect the phone from your computer, reboot, and enjoy the goodness of Pure Ice Cream Sandwich on your HTC Rezound.
You canvisit the original development thread to track updates to this ROM. If you decide to go ahead and test his ROM, do let us know about your experience in comments below.