Another Jelly Bean Android 4.1 ROM for the LG Optimus GT540 – the device that’s so old yet still is seeing active custom development – has been released, named Project JellyBeanSwift and based on CyanogenMod 10 (CM10). Released by XDA Recognized Contributor miroslav_mm, the ROM has most of the important things working already, making it quite suitable for daily use if you can look past some of the issues.
NOTE: CM10 is in its early stages, so don’t expect most of the customization features of CyanogenMod to be present in the ROM at this point, as they are slowly being ported to CM10 as CyanogenMod moves towards Jelly Bean from Ice Cream Sandwich.
Here’s a list of things that don’t currently work, quoted from the development page:
Native Bluetooth Tethering (untested) (use alternative app)
Native Wifi Tethering (untested) (use alternative app)
Native USB Tethering (untested) (use alternative app)
FM Radio (use Spirit FM)
and other little bugs.
Let’s take a look at how you can install Project JellyBeanSwift ROM on your LG Optimus GT540.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the LG Optimus, model number GT540. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Project JellyBeanSwift ROM on LG Optimus GT540
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Copy the downloaded zip file from step 3 to the SD card on the phone.
- Turn off the phone and boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do this, press and hold the Home + Power buttons to boot into CWM.
In recovery, use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone to boot up into Project JellyBeanSwift ROM.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Project JellyBeanSwift, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your LG Optimus GT540. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.