If you were looking for an easier way to update to OFE build on your Sprint Galaxy S6 without losing root access, then it’s available now. You don’t need to Odin or use OTA for this, as if you have TWRP, you can simply download and install the stock custom ROM based on OFE update, but rooted already, on your device.
The ROM includes a custom kernel that brings root access with it, and already includes init.d hack an busybox pre-installed. If you don’t have recovery, install that first but be sure to download and transfer the OFE ROM here so that in case your device doesn’t boot up after installing recovery, you can boot into recovery mode straight away, and flash the OFE custom ROM. The device will reboot alright thereafter.
How to Install pre-rooted OFE update on Sprint Galaxy S6
- SPRINT GALAXY S6, model no. SM-G920P
- Don’t try this one any other device!
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files.
- Make sure you have TWRP recovery installed. If not, install it using the installation guide over here. Be sure to download the latest version (188.8.131.52 or above) from here.
- Download the Sprint Galaxy S6 OFE custom ROM file from above.
- Transfer the ROM to your phone.
- You can disconnect the device from PC.
- Reboot into recovery mode to get into TWRP recovery. The process to reboot into recovery mode could wary from device to device. Do this:
- Power off your Galaxy S6. Wait for 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Press and hold Power + Home + Volume up until you see Samsung’s logo on screen. You will soon enter recovery mode, and will see the TWRP recovery if you have it installed.
- [Optional] Create a backup. Tap on backup, and then select partitions of your choice, preferably all of them, and then do the Swipe action at bottom to start backing up the whole phone! It would always come very handy in case anything bad happens to phone. Go back to TWRP’s main screen by tapping on Home button at bottom left corner.
- On main screen of TWRP, tap on Install, and then browse and select the OFE custom ROM file (StockRootedS6.OFE.zip). On next screen, just do the Swipe action at the bottom to root your device.
- Tap on Reboot System to restart the device.
Let us know if you need any help with this. Use the comments section below for faster response from us.