You can now use zergRush to permanently root your HTC Vivid if your phone’s boot loader is unlocked, but if not (boot loaders are locked like that of At&t HTC Vivid), then you’ll only have a temporary root (which means, you’ll loose the root access on your phone once you reboot your phone)
Below’s a step by step guide to root your HTC Vivid, but before you begin, make sure that you have proper drivers installed on your PC. You can install HTC sync (if you’re unsure) to get the correct drivers.
Here is the step by step guide to root your HTC Vivid Android phone:
- Download vivid-root-zip from here
- Unzip the archive in a suitable folder on your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone. For this go to Settings>Applications>Development>Check USB Debugging.
- Now connect your phone to your PC using USB in “Charge Only Mode”
- Open the unzipped folder you saved.
- Double click on “RUNME.bat” and just follow the on-screen instructions.
- Congratulations!!! You have successfully Temp rooted your phone.
Since this is a temporary root for HTC Vivid with boot loader locked, you will lose root access on your phone once you reboot it, so in that case repeat steps 4-6 to get root access again.
- There are still reports of Superuser app not recognizing the su binary even when it’s installed properly.
- In attempt to fix the binary, the su binary disappears.
- zergRush Method unmounts the internal phone storage i.e /sdcard folder. You can still access it from adb shell but it cannot be accessed properly.