It’s no secret that processors powering smartphones can be overclocked above their default clock speeds, usually by up to 500 MHz or so. But when you overclock a 1.2 GHz processor to 2 GHz, you know it’s an achievement, as such a high overclock (a different of 800 MHz) is too unstable for use. But that’s what KangBang kernel, a custom kernel for the HTC Vivid lets you do i.e overclock the phone to up to 2 GHz!
Important! Overclocking a processor can be dangerous and cause instability, so be cautious when overclocking your device. Also, different phones have different limits, so your phone might not be able to handle an overclock up to 2 GHz, while other devices may be stable at the same speed. So if you find 2 GHz to be unstable, try overclocking to a lower value.
Follow the guide below to flash KangBang kernel on your HTC Vivid.
How to Install KangBang Kernel on HTC Vivid
- [Important] Make sure your device has S-Off. Also make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed. You can use this guide for installing recovery if you are on Gingerbread ROM currently, or this guide if you are on Ice Cream Sandwich ROM.
- Download the latest version of the kernel from the official development page.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the SD card on your device (do not extract it).
- Turn off the phone. Then, boot into bootloader mode by holding down the Volume Down + Power buttons till the phone boots into bootloader mode. Now, using the volume keys to scroll, highlight RECOVERY then select it using the power button to boot into ClockworkMod recovery.
In recovery, use volume keys to navigate and power button to select options.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the kernel file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install ______.zip on the next screen. The kernel will now start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone.
- After the phone reboots, you can overclock the processor using an app such as SetCPU or No-Frills CPU Control or any similar app. Again, be careful and test different overclock frequencies to find the most stable overclock.
Some Important Points Quoted From Development Page
- IF you run into video/music issues, your ROM is using too old of libs. Bug your ROM dev to update to latest CodeAuroraForum libs.
- Before any issue will be diagnosed, Please wipe dalvik cache, and disable any app that sets scheduler or cpu frequencies.
- Run Ondemand up to 1.8ghz. Above 1.8ghz scaling may make it unstable
- If your device is limited at a higher clock, then it cannot handle the voltage required and the regulator is reporting an unstable voltage. THIS IS GOOD.
- TO RUN 2 GHZ FOR BENCHES, RUN PERFORMANCE GOV FOR BENCHES
The KangBang kernels is now installed on your HTC Vivid. Try overclocking your processor, then let us know up to what speeds your device stays stable, in the comments section.