Overclock Asus Transformer TF300T on Jelly Bean up to 1.5 GHz with a ROM
The official Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update for the ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T has been available for quite some time. Now, based on the latest official Android 4.1.1 firmware – 10.4.2.13, XDA Recognized Contributor surdu_petru has released a custom ROM that allows you to overclock your TF300T’s processor up to 1.5GHz, while also including other features such as improved performance, better RAM management, and other under-the-hood-tweaks.
A word of caution though. Overclocking can be potentially dangerous and can cause problems as it makes the device’s processor run at frequencies above the default tested frequencies. It’s best to overclock the device only when needed, like when playing graphic-intensive games, and leave the frequencies at default during general usage.
Let’s take a look at how the overclock-enabled Android 4.1.1 ROM can be installed on the Transformer Pad TF300T.
This guide is applicable only for Asus Transformer TF300T. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install JB Overclock Edition ROM on ASUS Transformer TF300T
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your APN details → here.
- You must be on the official Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware released by ASUS on your TF300T. You can use this guide to install the official firmware if needed. This ROM will fail to install on any ROM which is not based on the official Android 4.1.1 ROM
- Make sure the bootloader on your TF300T is unlocked. Go to the Asus Support Page → here, select Android in the OS drop down menu, then select Utilities, then download the Unlock Device App, copy it to the tablet, install it and use it to unlock the bootloader. This will void your warranty, so make sure you are comfortable with that and be sure to take a backup (step step 1). Skip this step if bootloader is already unlocked.
- [Important!] Make sure you have TWRP recovery installed on your tablet. This will NOT work with ClockworkMod recovery. Use this guide to install TWRP recovery if needed. Skip this step if you have TWRP recovery already installed.
- Download the ROM from the source page.
- Using a program like 7-zip, extract the file downloaded in step 4 once to get a file named overclock.zip. Do not extract the newly obtained file.
- Copy the asus.zip file to the internal storage on the tablet.
- Shut down the tablet. Then boot into TWRP recovery. To do that, press and hold Volume Down + Power, until a message appears on-screen saying “Press Vol. Up to enter RCK (5s)”. Here, in less than 5 seconds, press the Volume Up button to enter TWRP recovery.
- Now, tap on Backup, then slide the blue circle button at the bottom to the right to start backing up your current ROM, so that you can restore it later if something does not work out with the new ROM. After backup is complete, go back to the main menu by clicking the home button at the bottom left of the screen.
- Tap on Wipe, then tap on Factory reset to wipe data (this will not format internal/external storage). Return to main recovery screen after wipe is complete.
- Select Install, then browse and select the overclock.zip file you copied in step 6 above. Confirm installation to flash it.
- After installation is complete, select the Reboot system button to reboot the tablet and boot up into the ROM. First boot will take up to 5-7 minutes.
- To overclock the tablet, install an app like No-frills CPU Control or Quick CPU Overclock Lite and use it to set the overclock frequency to 1.5GHz.
Your ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T is now running the overclock-enabled Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM. Do let us know how it works!