OTA Update 5.7.906 for Droid 3 — Install Instructions
Motorola Droid 3 owners can update their devices to the latest Android 2.3.4 firmware thanks to a OTA update that was leaked by XDA member droidian1441 and taken from Motorola’s servers. It updates your firmware version to 5.7.906, but at this time, the changes and improvements it brings are not mentioned. There’s another caveat. Apparently, after flashing this update, you will be unable to revert to stock/previous firmware on your device, so make sure you keep that in mind before you try it out.
Well, without further delay, let’s delve into the procedure to flash the update on your Droid 3.
This ROM and the guide below is compatible only and only with the Verizon Droid 3. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
- Rooted Droid 3 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
Step by Step Procedure
- Download the update file from the original thread on XDA.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file from step 1 to the SD card on your phone.
- Then, boot into Clockworkmod (CWM) recovery. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select.
- Select “wipe data / factory reset” –> then select “Yes – wipe data/factory reset” on the next screen. (This will NOT format or erase your SD card contents)
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard (from step 2) and select it.
- Confirm installation on the next screen by selecting “Yes — Install ________.zip“. The update will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
Your Droid 3 is now updated to the 5.7.906 Android 2.3.4 firmware. Do let us know your thoughts and experience in the comments below.