Samsung first foray into the tablet world was with the 7.7-inch Galaxy Tab, which is continuing to receive the latest Android updates unofficially thanks to custom ROMs by the development community. And the saga continues, as another Jelly Bean Android 4.1 custom ROM has come out for it.
XDA Senior Member erezak has released the unofficial CM10 (CyanogenMod 10) nightlies for the GSM Galaxy Tab. Nightlies are ROM builds that are build (almost) every night (hence the name) incorporating the latest changes made in the code during development. CM10 gets you the latest version of Android with its own customization options as well as fast performance, and the nightlies let you stay on top of all the latest updates.
Keep in mind that this is not an official Jelly Bean ROM by Samsung but a custom ROM which is still under development and may have a few bugs and issues, and some Samsung-specific features will not be available.
NOTE, Please Read: Since this is an unofficial stock Android based ROM, some features like 3G video calling will be unavailable as those are only possible on stock Samsung ROMs (video calls using 3rd party apps like Skype will work fine though). Some other features such as an FM radio will be missing too, and some apps like camera may not be the same as on stock ROMs.
Read on to find out how you can install the CM10 nightly ROM on the Galaxy Tab P1000.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with Galaxy Tab, model number P1000. It’s not compatible with other Galaxy Tab variants or with any other device. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 Nightly on Galaxy Tab
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on the tablet.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 3 and 4 to the internal SD card on the tablet.
- Now power off the tablet and boot to Clockworkmod Recovery. To do this, hold the Volume Up + Power buttons together till the screen turns on, then let them go.
Use volume buttons to scroll up and down and the power button to select options in recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into CM10. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
Updating to Newer Nightly ROM Updates
- Since the ROM will be updated on a regular basis due to being in the nightly stage, in order to update to a newer version, simply download it from the development page, put it on your SD card, boot to recovery, install the ROM without wiping data, then reboot the phone. You don’t need to re-install the Google apps package or wipe data when updating. Just install the new version of the ROM and you’re good to go.
CM10 based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.