Official ICS Based MIUI for HTC One X, v2.5.18 [Guide]
MIUI 4 has finally gone official for the HTC One X, after quite a bit of waiting (though not much compared to other devices). MIUI is a custom ROM that provides a completely different UI, with features such as themes support, highly customizable navigation/status bar, a unique home launcher, and more. And it’s based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 of course, providing faster performance than stock HTC ROMs.
Important! Even though the developers of the ROM say that everything is working well, you can run into unknown bugs and issues, but it should run fine. Also, a few texts in the ROM might be in Chinese as they’ve not been fully translated, but that should be fixed as the ROM gets updated.
Read on to find out how you can install the official MIUI 4 ICS ROM on your HTC One X.
This guide is applicable only for HTC One X. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install MIUI 4 on HTC One X
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Unlock the bootloader on your HTC One X by following the guide → here.
- Install ClockWorkMod (CWM) recovery by following the guide → here.
- Download and install HTC Sync software on your computer in order to install the required drivers for the phone.
Download HTC Sync
Skip this step if you already installed the drivers while following step 2, or if you have HTC Sync installed already.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official download page. Remember to download the file that says endeavor in the file name from the ICS Downloads section as shown in image below.
- Copy the downloaded zip file of the ROM (don’t extract it) to the SD card.
- Also download the Flash_Boot_MIUI.zip file from → here. This is required to flash the necessary kernel on the phone.
- Extract the Flash_Boot_MIUI.zip file to a convenient location on your computer.
- Switch off the phone. Boot into the bootloader mode first by holding the Volume Down button while powering on the phone. Then, select FASTBOOT from there using the volume buttons to navigate and power button to select to enter fastboot mode. Then connect your phone to the computer.
- Go to the folder where you extracted the .zip file in step 8. Double-click the flash-boot-windows.bat file to flash the required kernel.
- After the kernel is flashed, the window that showed up will automatically close.
- Now, on your phone, highlight HBOOT using the Volume +/- buttons then select it using the Power button. And then select RECOVERY to boot into recovery mode.
Use volume buttons to scroll up and down and the power button to select options in bootloader menu and recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm data wipe. This will only delete your installed apps and settings, but will leave all other files and data on the SD card intact, so don’t worry.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen.
- After installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into MIUI ROM.
MIUI 4 is now installed on your One X and ready to be used. Visit the official development page for more information and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.