Google has started the official rollout of the Jelly Bean Android 4.1.1 update (build number JRO03C) for Galaxy Nexus devices – starting with the HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus variant in the US (the GSM variant sold directly by Google in the US – just a day after releasing the source for Jelly Bean.
However, the OTA update is rolled out gradually to more and more devices, so in case you don’t want to wait for your device to get it, you can manually update to the OTA release by using the guide below.
—- Important! Read the points below —
- The manual method of updating needs you to have a device with an unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod recovery installed. If you have a fully stock and unlocked Galaxy Nexus, you should wait for the OTA update from Google officially.
- You need to be on either the IMM76I Android 4.0.4 build or the preview JRN84D Jelly Bean build in order to update manually as this is an incremental ROM. There are two different files for updating from either version, so make sure to select the correct version depending on your current build.
- This guide and ROM is for the unlocked GSM variant of the Galaxy Nexus in the US and won’t work for the international variants or the Verizon/Sprint variants.
— Important! Read points above —
Now, let’s take a look at how you can manually update your GSM Galaxy Nexus (US variant) to the official OTA Jelly Bean release.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the US GSM Galaxy Nexus. It’s not compatible with the international or Sprint/Verizon variants or any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Official Jelly Bean ROM on US GSM Galaxy Nexus Variant
- [Important] Make sure your device has an unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod recovery installed.
- Now, on your phone, go into Settings » About phone, and check what it says under Build number on the bottom. It must be either IMM76I or JRN84D. Then, download the corresponding file below in order to update.
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the SD card on the phone (do not extract it).
- Turn off the phone and boot into ClockworkMod recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together till the screen turns on. Then, scroll to the Recovery mode option using the volume buttons, then select it using the Power button to restart in recovery.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard, then select the file transferred to the SD card in step 3. Confirm installation on the next screen by selecting Yes.
- After installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into the official Jelly Bean Android 4.1.1
Congratulations! You have successfully updated to the official Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean OTA release on your Galaxy Nexus. Enjoy!