CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) – based on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean – which features fast performance and useful customization options is now available for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus in its official form and is in its nightly stage. Nightlies are builds that are built and released automatically (almost) every day incorporating the latest changes made to the code and usually lead up to the final stable builds, and are great for those looking to stay up to date with the latest development changes.
So grab your phone and let’s see how the official CM10 ROM can be installed on the Sprint Galaxy Nexus.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Sprint Galaxy Nexus. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 ROM Nightly on Sprint Galaxy Nexus
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure the bootloader on your phone is unlocked. You can use this guide on how to do it (external link). Unlocking bootloader will delete all your data, including the entire SD card’s files, so back everything up before unlocking.
- Install the ClockworkMod Touch recovery on your phone by following the guide → here. Don’t try this procedure with any other recovery.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official CM10 download page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the zip files downloaded in step 4 and 5 to the SD card on the phone.
- Boot into CWM recovery. To do this, turn off the phone. Then, press and hold the following keys together: Power + Volume Up and Down to enter Fastboot mode where you’ll see “Start” written in big green letters. Then, using the volume buttons, navigate to the Recovery mode option, then select it using the Power button to reboot into recovery mode. In recovery, simply touch the icons to select them.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into CM10 ROM. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
NOTE: Returning to Previous ROM. In case you want to go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as explained in step 7), select Restore, then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Updating to Newer Nightly ROM Updates
- Since the ROM will be updated on a regular basis due to being in the nightly stage, in order to update to a newer version, simply download it from the CM10 download page, put it on your SD card, boot to recovery, install the ROM without wiping data, then reboot the phone. You don’t need to re-install the Google apps package when updating either. Just install the new version of the ROM and you’re good to go.
The official CM10 ROM based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus. Visit the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.