The original Epic 4G was released back a couple of years ago and has already stopped getting any official updates, but the latest version of Android is available for it unofficially anyway, thanks to the development community of course.
“Jelly Bean ROMs for the Epic 4G Touch can be found → here.”
The official CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROM – based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean – has been released for the Epic 4G by XDA Recognized Developer CMTeamEpic, bringing the well-known performance and customization inherent in CyanogenMod along with all the greatness of Android 4.1 – a smooth and fluid interface, reactive and uniform touch responses, actionable and expandable notifications, smart and accurate keyboard, a new Google Search experience, intuitive camera and gallery, and many more. CM10 is in the nightlies stage, where a nightly a ROM built automatically each day with all the new code and improvements letting you stay up to date with the most recent version of the ROM.
However, keep in mind that this is not an official ROM by Samsung. It is a custom ROM under development and may have a few issues in it. Also, it is based on stock Android, so any Samsung-specific features will not be available and a few apps will be different from their original versions (such as the camera or gallery).
The ROM currently has the following issues as of 05-09-2012. The list of issues is quoted from the source page, which you should check for the most updated list of issues:
– DO NOT adjust the Maximum CPU frequency. (Preview build only)
– Headset mic is not working.
– Phone may enter deep sleep while on a wall charger (not USB).
– Occassional reboot possibility is present, but it could be days between them, if it happens at all.
Now, let’s take a look at how CM10 can be installed on the Epic 4G.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Epic 4G. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install Official CM10 on Epic 4G
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least note down your network’s APN settings, which are required to make mobile data work. Go into Settings » More » Mobile Networks, click on the APN that is in use, then note down the setting for each field. While APN settings should be automatically restored from network, you can enter them manually if needed to make mobile data work. You can also find your carrier’s APN details → here.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on your phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the CM10 downloads page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM by default.
Download Gapps | Alternate Link | Filename: gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
- Copy the ROM and Gapps files from step 3 and step 4 to the internal SD card. Do not extract them.
- Turn off your phone. Now we need to boot the phone into ClockworkMod recovery. To boot into recovery mode, hold down Volume Down, Camera and Power buttons together.
In recovery, use the volume buttons to navigate, camera to select and the back arrow to go back.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete. This will only delete installed apps and settings, but leave all personal files intact.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- The phone will reboot into recovery in the middle of installation and then continue installing the ROM. However, if it simply reboots but doesn’t continue installation, repeat step 8.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone into CM10.
- The first boot of the ROM will take up to 5 minutes, so don’t panic if it takes a little time to boot up.
Updating to Newer Nightly ROM Updates
- Since the ROM will be updated on a regular basis due to being in the nightly stage, in order to update to a newer version, simply download it from the downloads page, put it on your SD card, boot to recovery, install the ROM without wiping data, then reboot the phone. You don’t need to re-install the Google apps package or wipe data when updating. Just install the new version of the ROM and you’re good to go.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Epic 4G. Visit the source page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.