The Cyanogenmod team is going out full steam ahead with development for CM9 for as many capable devices as possible. This time, the Samsung Epic 4G gets an early taste of CM9 Ice Cream Sandwich. It is an early Alpha release, meaning some bugs are to be expected, as is the case with most CM9 builds out there. But remember, this is an official Cyanogenmod build, and that means that the official CM Team is involved, and it’s only a matter of time before we get a nice, stable build on our Epic 4G.
Before we move on to installation details, let’s have a quick peek at the What Works and What’s work-in-progress details for this build:
- Phone calls
- SMS send and receive
- MMS send and receive (unreliable for some people?)
- Hardware 3D acceleration
- 3G data
- 4G wimax
- USB mass storage
- Camera and video recording (with problems)
- Google Apps gapps-ics-20111230.zip confirmed to work.
Device specific bugs
- Camera crashes when you change picture size.
- Video recording sometimes shows artifacts.
- MMS for some people?
The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!!
This rom and the guide below is compatible only with the Samsung Epic 4G. Please do not attempt to flash it on an incompatible device, as it could cause damage to your device and brick it. Check your device model in: Settings » About device.
- Rooted Epic 4G with Clockworkmod Recovery
- Installing/Flashing this ROM will erase your apps and data. So, it’s a very important you back them up before proceeding further. To backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. this Android backup guidewould help you.
- Fully charged battery
- Boot into CWM5 recovery. Make a full Backup. You will need this backup later if you decide to go back to your previous ROM and data.
How To Install CM9 Alpha on Samsung Epic 4G
- Download the CM9 Alpha and Gapps zip files (links provided above) to your PC
- Transfer both the zip file to your phone’s internal SD card. Just remember the location where you transfer these files.
- Power off the phone and boot into Recovery mode
- Now Select Wipe Data/Factory reset from the main menu, and on the next screen select Yes-wipe data
- Now scroll to Wipe Cache Partition and select it. On the next screen Select Yes-wipe cache.
- Now on the main menu, click Advanced,and then Select Wipe Dalvik cache. On the next screen, Select Yes-Wipe Dalvik
- Now that you have completed the full wipe, scroll to ‘Install zip from SD card‘
- Then Select Choose zip from sd card and navigate to the ‘update-cm9-EpicMTD-alpha-1.zip‘ file you transferred to the sd card in Step 2
- This will start flashing the ROM to your phone. Let the installation complete.
- Now repeat Steps 7 & 8. But this time, select the ‘gapps-ics-20111230.zip‘ in Step 8.
- Once the Gapps file is flashed, Select Go Back, and then Select Reboot System
- Phone will now reboot and you are all set to enjoy CM9 Ice cream Sandwich on your Epic 4G!!
For more details on development status & bug fixes, you can visit the original development thread HERE. You can also visit the official Cyanogenmod Epic Forum to discuss CM9 with other users. We look forward to hearing about your CM9 Alpha experience ; drop in a line or two in comments below.