It took its sweet time, but it’s finally here. CyanogenMod 7 aka CM7 is now official for the Galaxy Ace, bringing Android 2.3.7 with improved performance and customization options, which are the proven hallmarks of CyanogenMod. While CM9 is already on progress based on Ice Cream Sandwich for other devices, with the Ace also having a few Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs, those looking for a stable experience will welcome CM7 with open arms. The ROM will be updated regularly as it’s in the nightlies stage. Nightlies are development builds that are built automatically at the end of each day incorporating all the changes submitted by the developers in that time.
Do keep in mind that the ROM has bugs (albeit very few), and since these are automatic builds, newer releases might introduce new bugs and issues, so the ROM is by no means complete now.
Read on to find out how you can flash CM7 on your Galaxy Ace.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy Ace, model number S5830. It may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your model in Settings » About.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable.
- Torch isn’t working ( not a big bug but still)
- Link2sd seems to be not working (need confirmation from more users)
- Rooted Galaxy Ace with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- Backup all your data as this procedure will wipe your installed apps and data (but will NOT touch your sdcard). You can refer to this excellent Android backup guide.
How to Install CM7 on Galaxy Ace
- Download the latest version of CM7 from the original development thread.
- Download the Google Apps package (this is required since the ROM itself doesn’t contain Google apps like Market, Talk, etc).
Download Link | Filename: gapps-gb-20120116-237-signed.zip
- Transfer the two files downloaded in step 1 and 2 to the root of your sdcard on the phone (i.e, don’t put them in any folder).
- Power Off your Galaxy Ace. Wait for 5-6 seconds until you feel the vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Then, press and hold these 2 buttons together: ‘Home+Power’ till the Galaxy Ace logo shows up on-screen. You’ll boot into CWM recovery soon enough. (In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option. Use back key to go back).
- Once in CWM, perform a wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select “wipe cache“ then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Go back to the main menu, select “advanced”, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache » Yes – Wipe Dalvik. Then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Then select “Yes, Install *your_rom_name*.zip”. The ROM will now start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now repeat step 7, but this time select the Google apps package file gapps-gb-20120116-237-signed.zip to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.