O2 UK Galaxy S2 i9100 Gets Official Ice Cream Sandwich — XWLP3
It seems the carriers in the UK are working fast with updates this time. The international versions of the Galaxy S2 i9100 were updated to Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4.0 officially in quite a few regions a little while ago. The carrier Three in the UK followed a few days later, updating its version of the Galaxy S2 to ICS, becoming the 1st carrier in the UK to do so.
Well, it seems O2 UK didn’t wait too long either, as customers of the O2 branded Galaxy S2 in the UK can now update their phone to the latest Android version as well, with the release of the official XWLP3 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware for it.
Read on for the full procedure on how you can update your O2 Galaxy S2 to Ice Cream Sandwich.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with the O2 UK Galaxy S2, model number i9100. It’s not compatible with any other device, including US variants of S2, the Epic 4G Touch, T-mobile Galaxy S2 and AT&T Galaxy S2 along with Skyrocket. Check your device’s model number in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- If you have Samsung’s PC software Kies installed, un-install it first because it may interrupt the flashing process.
- Drivers! — it’s important you’ve the proper drivers installed. Download links below.
32 bit (x86) Windows | 64-bit (x64) Windows
How to Install XWLP3 on O2’s Galaxy S2 i9100
- Download the XWLP3 firmware.
Download Link | Filename: I9100XWLP3_I9100O2ULP4_O2U.zip | Size: 393 MB
- Now, extract the downloaded file I9100XWLP3_I9100O2ULP4_O2U.zip (from step 1) to any folder, you’ll get these 2 files:
- SS_DL.dll (simply ignore this one)
- Now, download the Odin software which you’ll need to flash the XWLP3 on your Galaxy S2 i9100.
Download Link | Filename: Odin3 v1.83.exe
- Power off your phone and also disconnect it from PC if it’s connected, and don’t forget to keep phone’s battery above 50%, just to be safe. After the screen goes off, wait for vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Boot Galaxy S2 into Download Mode in order to flash the XWLP3 firmware using Odin. For this, press and hold these keys together: Volume Down + Home + Power, you’ll get a Warning! screen.. press Volume up to continue to enter download mode.
- Open Odin (from step 3) — double-click the Odin3 v1.83.exe.
- Connect your phone to PC now. You should get the message “Added!!” under Odin’s message box in the bottom left. If you don’t get this message, then probably there is a problem with drivers. Make sure you’ve proper drivers installed. See point 3 above under Pre-Installation Requirements.
- Now, in the PDA tab in Odin, select the file you got in step 2.1 - I9100XWLP3_I9100O2ULP4_I9100XXLPR_HOME.tar.md5
- Important! Do not touch any other button or make any other changes in Odin except selecting the required file as given in step 8.
- Now, hit the START button to start flashing XWLP3 firmware. When the flashing procedure is finished, your phone will automatically reboot — and when you see the Samsung logo, you can safely unplug the cable. Plus, you’ll get a PASS (with green background) message in the left-most box at the very top of Odin.
IMPORTANT Note: If ODIN gets stuck at some stage and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, do this — disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, turn phone on in Download mode again, and do the procedure again from Step 6. Same if you get FAIL in Odin.
- In case you encounter any roadblocks flashing XWLP3, let us know in the comments below and we’ll try to help you out.