Nexus S 4G Ice Cream Sandwich MIUI 4 Rom – Brainmaster’s MIUI
It seems every day we are seeing more and more MIUI ROMs, based on Ice Cream Sandwich, being released for different devices — which is pretty good. Brainmaster’s MIUI is a new MIUI v4 ROM for the Nexus S 4G. Ported by XDA developer fergie716 from the Brainmaster MIUI ROM for the Nexus S, the ROM lets you experience ICS combined with the beautiful MIUI user interface, providing you with features such as an intuitive notification bar, themes support and more.
Read on to find out how to flash Brainmaster’s MIUI ROM on your Nexus S 4G.
This guide is applicable only for the Nexus S 4G. Check your phone’s version in Settings – About Phone. It has to be SPH-D720 for this procedure to be compatible with your phone. If it’s not SPH-D720, please do not try this.
Read everything carefully and thoroughly. The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!
Developer → fergie716
Known Issues (as of February 19, 2012):
- MMS Recieved (you can send MMS, a work around is to download Go SMS Pro and only use it to download MMS, you can stop Go SMS after downloading and turn off all of its services like notifications)
- A Nexus S 4G with Clockworkmod recovery installed
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD card, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Make sure the battery is sufficiently charged. At least 50% is recommended.
How to Install MIUI on Nexus S 4G
- Download the latest version of the MIUI ROM from the original development page.
- This rom right now requires you to flash additional file (see step 9) after flashing of rom, to remove bugs inherent in it. So, also the download the Brainmasters_fixes file from the page linked in step 1 above. Over the course of time, it may not be required, in which case, the link to this additional file to fix the bugs will be removed form there. So do check that page for this file.
- Now, transfer the files you downloaded in step 1 and 2 to your phone.
- Turn off your phone. Boot up into Clockworkmod recovery. To do this, hold Volume Up & the Power button until the device boots to the recovery. In recovery, use Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select.
- Now, perform a full wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD card). Wait for wipe to complete.
- Select “advanced”, then select “format system”, then select “Yes” to confirm.
- Select “format boot”, then select “Yes” to confirm. Then, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now scroll to the option “Install zip from sdcard” and select it. Then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file you downloaded in step 1 and select it. The ROM will now start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
- Once the phone boots, you will get lots of ‘Force Close’ errors. Son’t worry and simply power off the phone.
- Boot into recovery again like you did in step 4. Select “Install zip from sdcard”, then “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the file BRAINMASTER_FIXES.zip you downloaded in step 2 and select it.
- After the installation of the file is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
That’s it, you can now enjoy Brainmaster’s MIUI ROM on your Nexus S 4G. Let us know your views of the rom in the comments below.