The Nexus 7 has barely been on the market a few days or in people’s hands that a CM10 ROM has been released for the device already. That is expected though, as Nexus devices are Google’s own and always get such custom ROMs as CM10 in a properly working form the fastest. CyanogenMod ROMs bring many customization options and a performance boost to Android devices, so many Nexus 7 owners will be quite happy to flash it on their device.
NOTE: CM10 is in its early stages of development, and while everything should be working properly on the Nexus 7, there may be a few small bugs in the ROM. Also, the customization options found in CyanogenMod will be very few at the beginning, but more and more will get added as development goes on.
Read on to find out how you can flash CM10 on your Nexus 7.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the ASUS Nexus 7 tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on Nexus 7
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Unlock the bootloader on your Nexus 7 by using the Nexus Root Toolkit → here. This will wipe all the data on the tablet, so make sure to take a backup.
- Install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery on the tablet by following the guide → here. Install the touch version of recovery.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market/Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip
- Copy the two zip files downloaded in step 4 and 5 to the SD card on the tablet (do not extract the files).
- Turn off the tablet. Then, boot into recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together till the device boots into CWM recovery.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the tablet and boot up into CM10. The first boot will take some time, up to 5 minutes.
- Returning to Previous ROM: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as given in step 7), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM10 based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your Nexus 7. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.