With the growing popularity of Android tablets, and the variety of sizes & hardware specs manufacturers are churning them out consistently, the need for compatible tools, especially one as critical as a custom recovery, is now more important than it ever was. And in the land of custom recoveries, there is one name that reigns, and that is CWMR or ClockWorkMod Recovery.
XDA member ezynow has managed to port a ClockworkMod recovery image for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7″ 3G +WiFi, (GT-P6800) . At the same time XDA member davp has also released a port for the GT-P6810 (Galaxy Tab 7.7″ WiFi only). Both these recoveries have been ported from the GT-P6210 (Galaxy Tab 7″ Plus WiFi Only). Initial testing on key processes such as Backup & restore, Wipe Cache & Wipe Dalvik Cache seems to be working fine. And users who have tried it out have reported that everything is working just the way it should.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
This custom recovery and the guide below are specifically developed for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7″ Wi fi + 3G (Model # GT-P6800) and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7″ WiFi only (Model # GT-P6810). It’s not compatible with any other device and may render the device unusable. Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About Tablet
→ CWM Recovery for the Galaxy Tab 7.7″ Wifi+3G (GT-P6800)
Filename: P6800_Recovery.tar | Size: 8.01 MB
→ CWM Recovery for the Galaxy Tab 7.7″ Wifi Only (GT-P6810)
Filename: P6810_CWM_recovery120130171521.tar | Size: 8.01 MB
- Rooted Galaxy Tab 7.7″ . You can refer to this guide
- Updated device drivers installed on your PC. You can install them through KIES. Download the latest version of KIES here. Use KIES only to update your drivers and then make sure it is not running. Odin & Kies do not get along too well with each other, and we are going to use Odin to install CWM on your Tab.
- Fully Charged Tab
How To Install ClockworkMod Recovery on the Galaxy Tab 7.7″
Note: This is a common guide for both the GT-P6800 (3G + WiFi) as well as the GT-P6810 (WiFi Only) models. The only change is in the recovery file you choose based on your device model. Please be careful while executing Step 7.
- Download the P68xx_Recovery.tar file from above, depending upon your model. Save it on your desktop.
- On PC, make sure KIES is not running.
- Switch off your Tab, and reboot into Download Mode (Press and hold Vol Down + Power together)
- On the screen that comes up, you should see Two options: a) Vol Up to Continue & b) Vol Down to Restart. Press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode (also called Odin Mode)
- Now connect your Tab to PC via USB cable
- Launch Odin3 1.85.exe on your PC. Odin should recognize your device and the ID:COM port on the far left should turn Yellow. See screenshot below.
- Now select the PDA button, and navigate to your desktop where you have saved the Recovery .tar file for your specific device and select it. Also make sure that Auto-Reboot & F.Reset Time boxes are checked. Do not touch anything else. See screenshot below (The file name is indicative of the GT-P6800 tar file, but will change depending on which tar file you are using – P6800 or P6810)
- Now click the Start button. Odin will start flashing the CWM recovery image on your Tab. Once it has finished flashing it successfully, the box above the yellow ID:COM port box will turn Green with the text ‘PASS‘. See screenshot below
- Your device should now reboot automatically. It is okay to disconnect it from the PC at this point.
- Once your device has booted up completely, power it off. We will now test if we are able to boot into Clockworkmod Recovery. reboot the device by holding Volume Up and Power button simultaneously. You should now boot into the much-loved CWM main menu.
- That’s it!! You are done installing ClockworkMod recovery on your Tab, and now start experimenting with some neat custom ROMs that the developer community creates for us.
You can visit the original development threads here (for the 3G+WiFi model) & here (for WiFi only). If you want to share your experiencec with us, or need any help while flashing, give us a hoot in comments below, and we’ll be happy to help out.