The official rollout of CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) – based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 – was recently started for many devices, and with the official release also came a new boot animation that will be used as default on CM10 ROMs. If you’ve used CM7 or CM9, you are familiar with their boot animations, that show the CyanogenMod mascot (called Cid).
Well, with the new animation, the mascot has been replaced with a clean and simple logo of CyanogenMod, which is much more appealing and looks very cool. You can see the entire boot animation in the video above. And, Galaxy S2 and Nexus 7 owners using CM10 can also download the animation and flash it on their phones, so that the next time they reboot their phone, they are greeted with the awesome new boot animation of CM10.
The boot animation should work on all Jelly Bean ROMs for both devices, so read on for the step-by-step instructions on how the boot animation can be flashed on the Galaxy S2 or Nexus 7.
How to Install CM10 Boot Animation on Galaxy S2/Nexus 7
- Make sure you are using a Jelly Bean based custom ROM on your Galaxy S2 or the Nexus 7. Galaxy S2 Jelly Bean ROMs can be found → here, while Nexus 7 owners can find them → here.
- Download the boot animation according to your device:
- Copy the downloaded zip file to the SD card on your Galaxy S2/Nexus 7 (copy to internal SD card in case of Galaxy S2).
- Turn off your phone/tablet and boot into recovery using the method described below:
- Galaxy S2 → Press and hold these 3 buttons together until the screen turns on: Volume UP + Home + Power. Phone will boot into recovery. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option in recovery.
- Nexus 7 → Press and hold the VolumeUp + Volume Down + Power buttons together till the device boots into recovery.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the boot animation file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen.
- Then, after installation is complete (it should take a 4-5 seconds at most), go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot your phone/tablet, which should now show you the CM10 boot animation.
The CM10 boot animation is now installed on your Galaxy S2/Nexus 7. Every time you turn on your device, you will now be greeted by the cool and awesome boot animation. Just don’t go too crazy over it and keep restarting your device to see it!