New Clockworkmod (CWM) Recovery for Samsung Captivate Glide SGH-i927R
A few days ago, we had published a guide on ‘How to Root the Captivate Glide‘. That said, we also mentioned in the article, that we hope Clockworkmod Recovery makes it way to the Glide soon. And looks like our prayers are answered!!
XDA member utkanos has managed to port a working CWMR or Clockworkmod recovery to the Samsung Captivate Glide SGH-i927R (Rogers Version). This just made flashing new ROMs and kernels a whole lot easier for everyone. While at it, I must also mention that this is an Alpha build and has only been tested on a few handsets. But based on the response in the development thread here, it looks like its working like a charm!! And this particular build is kernel-independent, meaning you could use it with any kernel you like!!
The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!!
This Recovery is compatible only and only with the Samsung Captivate Glide SGH-i927R (Rogers Version). Please do not attempt to flash it on any other device. We are not responsible for any damage that may be caused to your device.
- Rooted Samsung Captivate Glide SGH-i927R. If you’re not rooted, this excellent guide will help you
- If you have Samsung’s PC software Kies installed, un-install it first because it may interrupt the flashing process.
- Drivers! — it’s important you’ve the proper drivers installed. Download links below:
32 bit (x86) Windows | 64-bit (x64) Windows
- Make sure your phone is fully charged
How To Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Samsung Captivate Glide SGH-i927R
- Download the ‘CWMR5x_i927_recovery.tar.md5’ (link provided above) to your PC and save it to your desktop (This is just so that its easier to remember the location when we use ODIN later)
- Download Odin 1.85 (link provided above). Extract the contents of the zip file to a folder and move the folder to your desktop (Again, so that it’s easy to remember the location)
- Install the Samsung USB drivers. After installation, reboot your computer
- Power off your phone. Wait 5-10 seconds until phone vibrates a little bit to confirm complete power off.
- Put your Captivate Glide in Download Mode (also called Odin mode). For this, hold Volume Up key (keep holding it until you see options screen) and then press power key once. On the next screen, press Volume Up once to boot into download mode.
- Run Odin3 v1.85.exe from extracted folder (from step 2)
- Connect your phone — which is in download mode — to PC now. Odin should recognize it — you should be able to see this text — Added! ! — in message box bottom left. You should also see one of the COM port boxes to the top left turn Yellow, and display a COM port number. This means that Odin has picked up your device
- On Odin, click on PDA tab to browse and select the ‘CWMR5x_i927_recovery.tar.md5’ from your desktop (from step 1)
- Make sure that ONLY the “Auto-Reboot” box is checked. Everything else should be unchecked.
- Click the Start button. This will start the Recovery Flashing process.
- Wait for the flash to complete. Once it has finished successfully the box above the yellow COM port should turn Green, with a “Pass” message. See screenshot below. If it fails remove battery, put it back and try the whole process — steps 6 to 11 — again, without breaking the sequence.
- Your phone should automatically reboot now. Let it reboot.
- That’s it!! You now have Clockworkmod Recovery 18.104.22.168 successfully installed on your phone
You can visit the original development thread here to check updates and user experience. If you need any help in flashing this, or want to share your thoughts with us, do use the comments box below, and we’ll be happy to be of assistance.