Android market has received a new update, v3.3.11 and its APK is available for download, too. You don’t need to be rooted to install the new update to market. In fact, all you need to do is download the .apk file, and install it using a file manager.
Regarding what has changed and what is new in the new android market v3.3.11, well, there is now an option to allow all apps — yes, all apps — to update automatically in background, and you can restrict this to happen only when WiFi connection is available. There is a new icon too in the app drawer and fonts have gone little bit smaller.
Moreover, while searching the market, there is a voice action button now to let you say your search term if you prefer that over typing it.
Another major change is in the app’s description page, where you have a nice chart about how users have rated that app, along with avg. rating of the app. It’s really nice. Another new feature is Auto-add shortcuts to home screens ( which is already in Honeycomb version). There are some UI tweaks too, btw, and that’s about the what’s new and changed in this version.
‘How to Install’ and Brief Overview Video
[youtube video_id="ZvppTCDR8zY" width="600" height="400" /]
To Install New Android Market v3.3.11 on your Android phone, do this:
- Download the APK file of new market.
- If you downloaded it on PC, transfer it to phone.
- You’ll need a file manager to browse through sdcard. If you don’t have one already, use this file manager (install for free from market).
- Enable “Unknown Sources” under settings > Applications, so that you can install applications from sd card.
- Open file manager app and go to directly where you transferred the apk file in step 2. Or if you downloaded on phone, it’s in the ‘download’ folder in your sdcard.
- Find and tap on the file to install. This will replace your existing market app with the latest market app which mainly touts the ‘Books’ and ‘Movies’ features available in the market.
- That’s it.
If you get ‘Force Close’ messages, go to setting > Applications > Manage Applications > ALL > Market > and ‘clear data’ here. This should fix this. Also, if your tablet is running android 3.x honeycomb OS, this market may not run properly. To uninstall the latest market, and revert back to earlier market you had installed, go to setting > Applications > Manage Applications > ALL > Market > and tap on ‘uninstall updates’ here.