Motorola Razr Gets Ice Cream Sandwich Firmware Leaked. Here’s How You Can Install it.
It’s raining Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs!! From everywhere, that is; and frankly, nobody’s really concerned abut whether it’s an official update, a leaked firmware, or a Custom ROM based on god-knows-what base !!! But the fact is, that Ice Cream Sandwich, or Android 4.0, the latest and greatest iteration of the Android OS, has taken the world by storm, in a way, that Gingerbread or Honeycomb, which were the previous iterations, ever could.
What we have here today, is a leaked Ice Cream Sandwich firmware, for one of the most popular handsets out there, the Motorola Razr ( GSM/UMTS Version). It comes to us, thanks to kholk, who is one of the Site Admins for the Eternity Project. Well, with all the leaks coming out these days, it’s a bit unsettling, but then, so long as they work, who’s complaining, right? What we are going to cover here is a quick guide on how to manually install this leaked Ice Cream Sandwich firmware on your Razr and then root it.
The methods and procedures mentioned to perform this process are considered risky; hence we advise you to only go ahead with it if you are confident of and know exactly what you are doing. We (or the developer) are not liable for any damage caused to you or your device, during the course of attempting this process. You have been forewarned!!!
This firmware is meant only and only for the Motorola Droid Razr, GSM/UMTS version, model number XT910. This is not intended for and won’t work on Verizon or Roges Razrs. Attempting to try this on a device other than the XT910 may result in an unusable device. Please check your device model number in Settings–>About Phone
File Name: Blur_Version.651.167.20.XT910.Retail.en.EU.zip | Size: 211 MB
Software Version → 651.167.20 Retail en.EU
Original Development Thread → Here
- Fully Charged Razr
- Back up all your personal data. You can use this excellent Android Backup Guide as reference
- If you are already rooted, be sure to have su backup done using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper
Post updating to this firmware, there is currently no way of downgrading back to Gingerbread, till the SBU15 Fastboot ROM is leaked. So only update to this firmware, if you really can’t wait till the official OTA is out!!
How To Manually Update your Motorola Razr XT910 to Ice Cream Sandwich
- Download the ‘Blur_Version.651.167.20.XT910.Retail.en.EU.zip‘ file to your PC (Link provided above)
- Rename the file to ‘update.zip‘ (without the quotes, of course)
- Now connect your Razr to the PC via USB cable, and transfer the update.zip file to the root of external SD card
- Disconnect the phone from PC, and power it off.
- Reboot to Recovery mode.
- The phone should automatically detect the update.zip file and start the update process. If it asks you for confirmation, Select Yes.
- Wait for the firmware update to finish. Once it is done, reboot the phone.
- Let the phone boot up and display the initial ICS setup. Go through it, and sign in with your Google account.
- Go the Market, and download + install a Terminal Emulator app. This is a good one
- Launch the terminal on your phone and type in the following commands. This will restore your su backup file created by Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, and thus restore root access
./system/su-backup mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/system /system rm /system/bin/su ln -s /system/su-backup /system/bin/su
- That’s it!!! Enjoy rooted Ice Cream Sandwich on your Razr!
TIP: Enable hardware acceleration from ‘Developer’s options‘ in settings.
You can visit the original development thread to read about user experience on Ice Cream Sandwich. If you wish to share your thoughts on this update, do use the comments box below.