ICS4BIONIC, the Motorola Droid Bionic Ice Cream Sandwich ROM based on Android 4.0.3 has come a long way since we last posted about it and we have a guide to help you flash it on your Droid Bionic. Rootzwiki developer dhacker29 has been working hard on it, and has got almost everything working in some form or the other. Here’s a list of what works and what doesn’t:
- Graphics working smooth now (Hashcode)
- Touchscreen (Hashcode)
- Capacitive buttons (Hashcode)
- Charging indicator (Hashcode)
- Both SDCards mounting on phone
- Builtin Screenshot (CM)
- Reboot menu (CM)
- Phone and SMS works
- GPS fully functional
- Audio fully working (Hashcode audio wrapper based on tpruvot’s Defy work)
- USB Mount working for sdcard-ext (Hashcode)
- Gallery recognizes both cards (Hashcode)
- 1x/3g/lte data working
Do note that the ROM is still in Alpha stage, so it might not be ready for everyday use. Read on to find out how to flash it on your phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Motorola Droid Bionic. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
- [Important] SafeStrap app for Droid Bionic so you can install and enter Clockworkmod (CWM) Recovery. Get SafeStrap apk by downloading it from → here. Remove BootStrap app by Koush from your phone before installing SafeStrap. If you already have SafeStrap and CWM installed, skip this step.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). So if needed, backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Step by Step Instructions
- Download the ICS4BIONIC ROM file:
Download Link [Filename: 902-ICS-4.0.3_r1-cm_targa-2012-02-09-04_08.zip | Size: 124 MB]
- Download the Google Apps package file:
Download Link [Filename: gapps-ics-moto-020912.zip | Size: 79 MB]
- Transfer the two files downloaded in step 1 and 2 to the root of your external sdcard on the phone.
- Run the Bionic SafeStrap app on your phone, then choose “Reboot Recovery” to reboot into ClockworkMod recovery.
- Once in recovery, using the Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select, scroll to “wipe data/factory reset” and select it. Select “Yes” on the next screen.
- Now, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard” on the next screen.
- Now navigate to the file named 902-ICS-4.0.3_r1-cm_targa-2012-02-09-04_08.zip that you transferred to phone in step 3 and select it using the power button.
- Confirm installation by selecting “Yes — Install 902-ICS-4.0.3_r1-cm_targa-2012-02-09-04_08.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will now start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back”, but don’t reboot yet. We need to install the Google apps as well such as Market, Gmail, etc.
- Now again select “install zip from sdcard”, then select ““choose zip from sdcard”.
- Scroll to the file gapps-ics-moto-020912.zip (from step 3), then select it using the power button.
- Confirm installation by selecting “Yes — Install gapps-ics-moto-020912.zip” on the next screen.
- Once the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot into the ROM.
That’s it. The ROM is now installed on your phone and you can enjoy ICS on your Droid Bionic. Share your thoughts and problems in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help you out.