Motorola Droid 4 Utility Tool: Install Root, Safestrap Recovery, etc.
The Droid 4 from Motorola has barely been out for a few days now, and developers have already found a way to root it. XDA member mattlgroff has released an All-in-one utility tool for the Droid 4, which lets you root and unroot, install safestrap recovery so that you can flash custom ROMs later, and a lot more. At this point, the fastboot files for the Droid 4 were not available, so they are not included, but once they are out, the developer would be including those within the utility to allow you to also be able to do a system restore through fastboot.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Motorola Droid 4. It’s not compatible with any other device. So, be sure to try this only on a Droid 4 and not any other device. Check your device model by going to Settings » About Phone
- Developer → mattlgroff (XDA)
How To Use The Motorola Droid 4 utility Tool
- Download the Droid 4 utility tool from the original development thread.
- Extract the downloaded zip file to your desktop
- Find the file Droid4Utility.bat and double click it to launch the tool
- You should see a DOS window pop-up. Connect your Droid 4 to the PC, and enter the number corresponding to your selection and hit enter to run the command
Visit the original development thread to check for updates and to submit bugs. If you want to share your thoughts with us, drop us a line in comments below.