The Motorola Atrix 4G – America’s first dual-core phone – has received a nice shot in the arm in the form of an unofficial CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROM, which brings Jelly Bean to the device, thanks to XDA Recognized Developer jokersax11 who has been responsible for bringing ICS to the device as well with CM9/MIUI ROMs in the past. Jelly Bean brings a lot of new features to Android, including a smooth as butter interface, Google Now which predicts what data you may need and presents it to you automatically, advanced voice recognition, smarter keyboard, and more which you can now try out on your Atrix 4G.
NOTE: The ROM is a very early alpha build and hence is not to be considered suitable for everyday use, as it may have issues and some things may not work properly, though the developer hasn’t provided a list of issues. Also, CM10 is in its early stages, so don’t expect most of the customization features of CyanogenMod to be present in the ROM at this point.
Continue reading to find out how CM10 can be installed on the Motorola Atrix 4G.
This guide is applicable only for the Motorola Atrix 4G. DO NOT try this on any other device.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install CM10 on Motorola Atrix 4G
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
NOTE: Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your device.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the official development page.
- Download the latest version of the Google apps package, which will install apps like Market/Play Store, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
- Copy the 2 zip files downloaded in steps 3 and 4 to the SD card on the phone (do not extract them).
- Turn off the phone & boot into CWM Recovery. To do so, hold Volume Down button and press the Power button . Keep holding the Volume down button though until you see fastboot written at top left. Now, hit Volume Down repeatedly until you see the option in top left changing to Android Recovery. Once you see Android Recovery, hit Volume Up button to select it and boot into recovery mode.
Use volume buttons to scroll up and down and the power button to select options in recovery.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Then, select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the Gapps file to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone which will now boot into CM10. The first boot will take up to 5-7 minutes.
CM10 based on Jelly Bean Android 4.1 is now installed and running on your Motorola Atrix 4G. Visit the official development page for updates and more info. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments below.