The Moto X 2nd Gen, 2014 edition, has received the official Android 5.1 update from the company today, and the good thing is, the OTA update is available for download and manual installation. So if you don’t feel like waiting in the queue under the gradual rollout by Motorola, just hit the download link below, and follow our guide to install the official Android 5.1 update for 2nd Gen Moto X (2014), model no. XT1092, right away. The build no of the Moto X 5.1 update is LPE23.32-25.1.
Do note that the update is compatible with selected models only– it’s meant for retfr, reteu, retde and retain. Btw, if you don’t have a compatible device and still try, it simply won’t install, thus won’t cause any damage to your device.
Btw, as with OTA updates, you need to have stock recovery and stock system installed on your device. Unrooted and all that! If you are using a custom ROM, better go back to official firmware to be able to take this Android 5.1 OTA update. Big thanks to noemi.abril for this! And psyk82! And zarocks!
How to install Android 5.1 OTA update on Moto X 2nd Gen (2014)
- reteu general update | mega link
File: Blur_Version.22.121.1.victara_reteu.reteuall.en.EU .zip
(works on many variants like: retin, retfr, reteu, retde, etc.)
- retde specific update | google drive link
File: Version.22.121.1.victara_retde.retdeall.en.DE.zip (425 MB)
- retmx specific update | mega link
[For model no. XT1097 only, while above two are for XT1092]
Check the system version of your Moto X 2014, in Settings > About phone. After the version, model’s region is mentioned, like retin, reteu, retde, etc. If your model belongs to retdu, download the second file above, otherwise, the first one.
- Motorola MOTO X, 2014 edition, model no. XT1092 (files reteu and retde above)
- Motorola MOTO X, 2014 edition, model no. XT1097 (file retmx above)
- Don’t try on any other Android device with a different model no.
Tip: Check the model no. in Settings > About phone. Or, you could also find the model no. on the packaging box of the device.
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Backup necessary stuff. In case your device is wiped off while following the guide below, it’s good to have a backup of contacts, photos, videos and other files already saved on PC.
- Download the official Moto X Android 5.1 OTA update from above.
- Connect your Moto X to PC using a USB cable.
- Now transfer the OTA update to phone’s storage. Remember the location of it.
- Reboot your Moto X to recovery mode.
- Disconnect the phone from PC, and then Power off it.
- Press and hold both volume buttons with power button until you see anything on screen. This is bootloader mode.
- Now, use only volume down to move the selection to Recovery and then use volume up to select it and reboot into recovery mode.
- Wait, you’re not there yet. You’ll see a dead Android with exclamation mark. Just press and hold both volume buttons for around 5 seconds and while holding them, press power button once. You will see stock recovery and its options.
- In stock recovery, choose ‘install update from sdcard’.
- Now, select the OTA update file using volume buttons for navigation and power button to select a file or enter a folder. Once you select file, confirm its install and the update will start installing on your device.
- When done, you will be back to main screen of recovery. Select ‘reboot system now’ to restart your device and welcome the official Android 5.1 update from Motorola.
Need any help? Give us a shout in comments below.