Update: This post was originally written about CM12.1 but is now edited in favor of SOKP ROM which is looking better of the two for the time being. Suitable changes have thus been made.
We just talked about the Moto G 2014’s Android 5.1 update, and we’ve got its little bro as our next device to enter the fame of device for which Android 5.1 is already available, albeit unofficially. The original 1st gen Moto E has got a decent build of SOKP up and running, and while it would only develop further, those of you are who can’t contain themselves to not-latest-anymore Android 5.0 update, can very well go ahead and try out Android 5.1 and its truckload of new features.
Android 5.1 doesn’t changes UI wise, and it doesn’t need too anyway, but it does packs in some cool improvements over 5.0. Yep, it has to obviously otherwise why would it be called an upgrade.
A word about official Motorola Android 5.1 update, btw, we expect the OTA to hit your device in a month and a half.
The guide below, after the downloads section will help you through the installation.
Note: This is not an official Motorola Android 5.1 update, so expect few kinks at some corners of the ROM.
Download the ROM file in .zip format from the source development page here, where you could also keep a tab on current issues with the ROM and fixes, if any, available. Also download the Gapps from here.
- Motorola Moto E (1st Gen, codenamed Condor)
- Don’t try on any other device
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Important Note: Backup important files stored on your device before proceeding with the steps below, so that in case something goes wrong you’ll have backup of all your important files.
- Transfer the ROM file package file to your device’s internal storage and remember the location where you save it.
- You need TWRP recovery for this. Get it from here. There’s good instructions set there, too. For more help, Google is your friend.
- Boot into Recovery mode.
- Once in TWRP recovery, take a backup of your current ROM. Select Backup, then do a “Swipe to Back Up” on the bottom of the screen.
- Once the backup is finished, select Wipe, then do a “Swipe to Factory Reset” on the bottom of the screen.
- Go back to the main menu of TWRP recovery and select Install.
- Navigate to the file where you saved your ROM’s zip file, select it and “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen. Now wait until the flashing process finishes.
- Go to back to recovery’s Main menu, select Reboot » select System.
Your device will now reboot with Android 5.1 update, thanks to SOKP custom ROM.
In case you need any help over this, let us know. And, you can thank the developer ashwin007 for this.
Android 5.1 update is also available on:
- Samsung: Note 4 / Galaxy S5 (Sprint and Verizon) / S4 LTE / S3 / S3 LTE
- Google: Nexus 4
- OnePlus: One
- LG: G3
- HTC: One Max
- Motorola: Droid Razr | Moto G
- Sony: Xperia Z Ultra