Ever since the release of the official Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4.0 update for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer, along with the sources, we’ve seen development on the tablet going on in full force. Another ICS based custom ROM has hit the Transformer, the Team EOS ROM, adding another choice for users to the ever growing list.
The Team EOS ROM is based on AOSP and is currently in the beta stage, with nightlies that come out, well, every night. For those who don’t know, nightlies are development builds that are generated automatically every 24 hours with the latest changes incorporated into them. This means that people can try out the latest version of the ROM almost every day.
Bear in mind though, that since this is a beta release, bugs and issues are present in the ROM and new ones can always crop up, specially due to the nightly status of the ROM.
Now let’s see how we can flash the Team EOS ROM on your Asus Transformer.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Asus Eee Pad Transformer, model number TF101. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About Tablet.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
Developer → teameos
- Rooted Transformer TF101 with Clockworkmod Recovery installed. You can use this
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Make sure the battery is sufficiently charged. At least 50% is recommended.
How to Install Team EOS ROM on Asus Transformer TF101
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development thread.
- Download the latest Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the root of your SD card on your tablet.
- Turn off the device and reboot into Clockworkmod Recovery. Use volume keys to scroll up and down between options and power key to select an option.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again. Restore your backup using the “restore” option when required.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD cards).
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install *your_rom_name*.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now repeat step 7, but this time select the Google apps package file (from step 2) to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the tablet.
That’s it! Team EOS ROM based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 is now installed on your Eee Pad Transformer. Follow the original development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.