It’s here!!! MIUI v4, based on Cyanogenmod 9 or CM9 Ice Cream Sandwich rom, for one of the most popular handsets in the world, the Samsung Galaxy S2. The fact that the developer community continues to churn out rom after rom for this awesome device speaks volumes about the capabilities and popularity of this awesome phone.
XDA member amitmiz has managed to port MIUI 4 for the Galaxy S II. Since it is based on CM9, which in itself is still work-in-progress, the MIUI port retains all of the CM9 bugs. Maybe not ready yet to be a daily driver, but nevertheless worth a shot.
MIUI, as many of you already know, is one of the most favorite rom in the world of android custom roms. It features a unique, and heavily themed interface, that does away with the traditional Android app drawer and functions more like iOS, wherein you slide through homescreens to access apps. those who don’t like iOS-ish launcher can always install a launche rof their choice — ADW, Go, nova, Nemus, etc — from android market to get android-like homescreen management back.
MIUI v4, which is based on Ice Cream Sandwich, also includes additional functionality not found in stock Android, including toggles on the notification pull-down, unique music app , gallery, and camera apps, and a modified phone dialer that displays matching contacts as a user enters a number.
While some users find MIUI too similar looking to iOS, and hence prefer not to use it, there is no denying the slick, elegant, classy UI which you can further customize through hundreds of themes accessible from within the rom, and the fact that it makes your device stand out from the crowd.
This MIUI4 rom for Galaxy S2 i9100 is an early port, and currently is not completely bug free. Have a look at the known issues below before you go ahead and flash it.
Known Issues (Quoted from the developer’s thread)
What Doesnt Work:
-ALL CM9 BUGS!(go to CM9 thread and see what doesnt work)
-Camera can’t go beyond 3Mpix.
-Sd card is not detected, however it does mount so you can browse it using root explorer etc(mnt/emmc)
-Themes won’t apply ( you need to create a folder called “theme” in data/system in order to fix it)
thats all I have found, if you get more bugs, tell me.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
This rom and the guide below is compatible only and only with Galaxy S2, model number i9100. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in:Settings » About phone.
- It is recommended that you flash this over Samsung’s own leaked XXLP2 firmware. And you need to have Clockworkmod recovery installed too. Do this to get XXLP2 and install recovery on it:
- Fully charged battery
- Installing/Flashing this rom will erase your apps and data. So, it’s a very important you back them up before proceeding further. To backup your apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. this Android backup guidewould help you. Restore APN settings, if Internet isn’t working for you after installing the rom. And if you are using a rooted phone, you can save application’s data too, using Titanium backup (free app on android market) to backup apps with apps with data. Use the same app again to restore those apps with data.
- Drivers! — it’s important you’ve the proper drivers installed. Download links — 32 bit (x86) Windows | 64-bit (x64) Windows
Install MIUI v4 on Galaxy S2 — Step-By-Step guide:
- Make sure you’ve the XXLP2 running on your Galaxy S2 with Clcokworkmod recovery installed. For installation help, see the Pre-Installation Requirements section above.
- Download the latest version of MIUI v4 rom from here. [You can download the latest version of the rom, available at the moment, from here, which is also the official development page of MIUI4 for galaxy S2 where you can follow the development if you want. After downloading the latest version, simply follow the rest of steps below to install it.]
- Transfer the rom (file you downloaded in step 1 above) to your phone’s internal sdcard.
- Disconnect phone from PC. Power it off — wait for 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Boot into recovery mode by pressing 3 keys together (hold until you see a Samsung logo) – Volume UP + Home + Power.
- When in CWM recovery, select “wipe data/factory reset” and then select Yes – Wipe data on the next screen. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete
- Select “wipe cache partition” and then Select Yes – Wipe cache partition on the next screen.
- Now select “Advanced” . On the next screen, Select “Wipe Dalvik Cache”, and then “Yes – Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”, then scroll to and select the rom file you downloaded in step 1 and transferred in step 2 above. Then select Yes on next screen to begin flashing of MIUI4 on your Galaxy S2. The ROM will now start installing.
- Once the installation is complete, go back to the main menu & select “Reboot system now”.
- That’s it, upon reboot, you should now be running MIUI 4, based on CM9/ICS, on your Galaxy S2
If you want to share your experience (or problems in flashing or anything) with MIUI 4, you can do so in comments below.