MIUI v4 for Desire HD — RD-MIUI-ics [Unofficial port]
This is what we love about the Android developer community. An unending flow of the most innovative and feature-packed custom ROMs for every device out there. And currently, with Ice Cream Sandwich being the flavor of the season, there seems to be no dearth of ICS based custom ROMs for newer and older devices alike. In the land of custom ROMs, MIUI is one of the most popular ROM family out there, with it’s uniquely themed UI, and the variety of customizable options that make it unique. MIUI v4 is the latest version of MIUI, based on Ice Cream Sandwich, and it combines the elegance of the MIUI interface with the robustness of the ICS framework. And today, MIUI4, albeit an unofficial port, lands on the HTC Desire HD.
RD-MIUI-ics has been released by XDA member dekkyy, and has been ported over to the Desire HD from the MIUI build for the Nexus S. As you all know, ICS is not completely stable yet on older devices, and this being an early build, might throw up a few bugs. But MIUI4 is definitely a treat worth trying out on the Desire HD. The screenshots posted above, by themselves, should make you want to try this ROM out.
The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!!
This ROM is compatible only and only with the HTC Desire HD. Please do not attempt to flash it on any other device. We are not responsible for any damage that may be caused to your device. Check your device model in Settings » About Phone
-Full video playback (HW accel playback) – HD videos still not working nicely
-Camera has glitches – use aftermarket camera app
- Rooted/S-Off HTC Desire HD with Clockworkmod Recovery installed
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Fully charged Desire HD
How To Install RD-MIUI-ics on the HTC Desire HD
- Download the RD-MIUI-ics ROM file from the official development page.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to the root of external sdcard on your Desire HD, and disconnect the phone from PC.
- Switch off your phone, and reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery (Press Volume Down & Power Key, and select recovery in the next screen)
- Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore –> On the next screen, Select Backup again.
- Perform a full wipe as follows
- Select Mounts and Storage » Format System » Yes-Format System
- Select Format Data » Yes – Format Data
- Select Format Cache » Yes – Format Cache
- Go back to the main menu, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache » Yes – Wipe Dalvik .
- Now select “Install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the “RD-MIUI_ICS_2.2.24_v2.zip“ file on the sdcard (transferred in step 2) and select it.
- Now confirm installation by selecting “Yes – Install “RD-MIUI_ICS_2.2.24_v2.zip” on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “Go back” and then select “Reboot system now” to reboot into the ROM
- The first boot will take a lot longer than usual. This is expected, so be patient. Wait for the OS to boot up.
- Once your phone has booted up, leave i t alone for 10 mins to allow the ROM to settle down. Do not touch anything.
- After 10-12 mins, proceed to set up your phone, and enjoy the awesomeness of MIUI4 on your Desire HD
Visit the official development page linked above to download updates and add-ons, check out more detailed information and to submit bugs that you may come across. Go ahead and try out MIUI4 on your Desire HD, and tell us about your experience in comments below.