“It’s not over until we say so” is what the development community believes in, supporting Android devices with the latest custom ROMs based on the latest version of Android after the manufacturer stops supporting them, and one such device is the Samsung Captivate, which has received yet another Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM thanks to the development community.
XDA Senior Member Arisenhavok91 has released JellyUI ROM, which is a themed MIUI ROM based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. MIUI features a unique interface, inbuilt themes support, privacy protection, and more, and JellyUI ROM extends the experience with custom icons and theming. And of course you get Jelly Bean features such as the butter smooth interface or the actionable notifications as well.
Keep in mind that this is not an official Samsung ROM but an unofficial custom ROM that is in development, and it may have a few issues present and some things may not work properly.
NOTE, Please Read: Since this is an unofficial stock Android based ROM, some features like 3G video calling will be unavailable as those are only possible on stock Samsung ROMs (video calls using 3rd party apps like Skype will work fine though). Some other features such as an FM radio will be missing too, and some apps like camera may not be the same as on stock ROMs.
Continue reading to find out how you can install JellyUI MIUI ROM on the Captivate.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Captivate, model number SGH-I897. It’s not compatible with any other device and may render an incompatible device unusable. Check your device model in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install JellyUI MIUI ROM on Samsung Captivate
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on the phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the development page.
- Copy the zip file downloaded in step 3 to the internal SD card on the phone.
- Turn off your Captivate and wait for complete shutdown (wait for vibration and check capacitive button lights).
- Then, boot into CWM recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down buttons while powering on the phone. When the screen turns on, let go of all three buttons. The phone will boot up into ClockworkMod recovery in a few seconds.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- The phone will probably reboot in the middle of installation and get stuck in a boot loop. If that happens, remove the battery, re-insert it, boot into ClockworkMod recovery again, then repeat step 8 to reinstall the ROM. If the installation finishes without a reboot or continues installing automatically after a reboot, you can skip this step.
- After the installation is complete, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into JellyUI ROM. The first boot can take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.
JellyUI ROM, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed and running on your Samsung Captivate. Visit the official development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.
Do try out some other Jelly Bean custom ROMs on your Captivate → here.