See, what we’ve got here — some cool dudes at XDA have finally ported the MIUI to Motorola Atrix 4G!
I was like waiting for it ever since CM7 was launched few months back. And now that it’s there, here is a guide for all you guys to install MIUI on your Atrix 4G, which is pretty simple — just download the MIUI rom, transfer the file to your phone, boot into CWM recovery and flash using install zip from sdcard option.
Oh btw, if you’re a newbie — and thus obviously didn’t get what was just said above — there is a detailed guide for you below.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!!!
This MIUI installation guide is compatible with Motorola Atrix 4G only, and not with any other device.
Before seeing the installation guide, let’s see some details about the rom, and its developers.
Atrix 4G MIUI ROM INFO
Current version: Alpha (initial release) – as on Dec 9, 11.
Official Development Page — Link.
Development status (as on Dec 9, 11) :-
- Calls and SMS (2G/3G/H+)
- Proximity Sensor
What Doesn’t Work:
- Fingerprint sensor (not native to MIUI)
- Webtop(not native to MIUI)
- Front facing Camera
- Still few menus with chinese
- Everything not mentioned here
Guide to Install MIUI on Atrix 4G
[youtube video_id=”Y3TrXBQBM5Q” width=”620″ height=”400″ /]
I installed MIUI rom on my Atrix 4G, which was updated to Gingerbread (Android 2.3.4) thanks to pretty famous update v4.5.91. If yours is still on Froyo I suggest you update it to gingerbread first — get help on installing v4.5.91 update here.
To be able to flash MIUI on your phone, you need to have ClockWorkMod recovery installed, for which you need to be rooted. Don’t fret if yours is not rooted, we’ve covered that (provided links, actually) in guide below. If you already have CWM installed just skip to step 3.
- Root your Atrix 4G. If you get suck at step 6 there, look into comments, there is a solution for that there.
- Open market and install free app called ROM Manager from there. Open it and flash ClockWorkMod recovery (CWM) from the app — it requires root access, that’s why the step 1.
- Download latest version of the MIUI ROM from official development page here. The current version as of Dec 9, 11 is Alpha and here’s a direct download link for that. (note that if the rom gets updated on official page, this link will get you only an outdated version of the rom.)
- Transfer the MIUI rom to phone’s internal sdcard.
- Power off phone.
- Enter recovery mode — hold Volume Down button and press then Power button (keep holding the Volume down button though until you see fastboot written at top left). Now, hit Volume Down repeatedly until you see the option in top left changing to Android Recovery. Once you see Android Recovery, hit Volume Up button to select it and boot into recovery mode. You’ll boot into CWM recovery now, which you installed in step 2 above. (If you get past the Android Recovery option by carelessly hitting the Volume Down button, keep pressing it until the android recovery option is visible again and then press Volume Up to select it — no problem with that.)
- In recovery, use Volume Up and Down keys to browse between options and select an option using power key.
- Make a full backup of your current rom (apps, their data and everything) using backup and restore option here in CWM recovery. It’s very very useful and gets you out of trouble if you mess up anything. Simply restore this backup using CWM recovery when needed later.
- Now, go to and select install zip from sdcard » choose zip from internal sdcard » and browse and select the file you downloaded in step 3 and transferred in step 4 above. Select Yes – ___ on next screen to start flashing the MIUI ROM on your Atrix 4G.
- After it’s flashed, press go back and select reboot system now to reboot device upon which, you’ll see MIUI running on your Atrix 4G. Enjoy!
If you need a help with anything discussed above (root, v4.5.91 update, cwm, etc.), shout out in comments below — we’ll assist you at our best. Also, share you thoughts about the MIUI too, and favorite themes, yeah!
Atrix 4G MIUI Overview
[youtube video_id=”4DbcqkS3pac” width=”620″ height=”400″ /]