Grab MIUI 4 for Your Kindle Fire — It’s There!
Amazon’s rock-bottom priced Kindle Fire got one more popular rom to its collection — the MIUI 4 v2.2.3, based on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich. MIUI 4 Kindle Fire (or any other android device, actually) is a big news for this dual-core tablet’s owners and even better thing is that it’s pretty much working fine.
Almost everything works — although it’s got a small list of ‘what doesn’t work’ too — and it’s one good rom to be used as a daily driver.
So, without much ado, lets see the installation process.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been forewarned!!!
This rom and the guide below is compatible only and only with Kindle Fire tablet from Amazon. It’s not compatible with any other device.
Everything works except this (as of Feb 9, 2012):
Tethering via USB
Hardware accelerated graphics
How to Install MIUI 4 on Kindle Fire
- Download the latest version of the MIUI v4 rom for your Kindle Fire from the development page linked above. Current rom as of Feb 9, 2011, is v2.2.3 (download link). Since bugs are fixed with each rom that’s released regularly, we recommend download the latest version.
- Transfer the ROM to your Kindle Fire’s sdcard.
- Disconnect Kindle Fire from PC. Power it off — wait for 6-7 seconds after screen goes off.
- Boot into recovery mode. You need to have Clockworkmod recovery (or TWRP recovery) installed. I recommend you use TWRP recovery, which is what I’m using here, Although, everything can be done pretty easily from simply clockworkmod recovery too. When you’ve TWRP recovery installed, simply press the Power button to turn it on and when you see the triangle on the screen, press the Power button again to enter recovery mode of TWRP, from where you begin as said below.
- [Optional] Create a backup of your existing rom so that if anything goes wrong or you simply want to revert back for whatever reason, you can do so easily.
- Now, do a Factory Reset. In TWRP recovery, tap on Wipe and then Factory Reset. Confirm it on next screen. Wait for the process to finish. Use back key to get to main screen of recovery.
- Tap on Install and select the MIUI 4 for Kindle Fire rom file that you downloaded in step 1 and transferred in step 2 to your Fire’s sdcard. Once you tap on that file, it would appear under Selection row below the file manager.
- Tap on Flash to start the installation process.
- After the installation process is done, click on Wipe Cache/Dalvik to wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache together. TWRP goodness that is!
- Once the wiping of cache and dalvik cache is done, tap on Back and then Main Menu, to get to main screen of kindle Fire’s recovery.
- Tap on Reboot and then on System to restart the Kindle Fire with MIUI 4 installed. Wait good 20 mins for the first boot. Once the Fire has restarted you’ll be presented with MIUI 4.
Share your thoughts and problems, if any, in comments below.