MIUI 4 for Motorola Photon 4G — Installation Guide
Good news for Motorola Photon 4G owners. MIUI 4 based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 has been ported over to it, adding it to the list of devices that MIUI 4 is jumping on at such a fast pace. As you probably know, MIUI brings a beautiful UI and lots of added features like extensive themes support, performance and more to Android phones. MIUI 4 is even better as it takes the visually appealing and intuitive Android 4 and adds its own charms to it.
Ported over by XDA member Jmaserang, the ROM is still in the pre-alpha stage, so it might not be suitable for everyday use. There are quite a lot of bugs and issues present, and expect more to crop up without warning as is always the case for alpha releases.
Continue reading for the full procedure on installing MIUI 4 on your Motorola Photon 4G.
Developer → Jmaserang
- Video recording
- Torch app (don’t open)
- Only sees internal memory but can mount sd using Astro file explorer
- Music app works but FCs sometimes
This hack and the guide below is compatible only and only with the Motorola Photon 4G. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
- Rooted Motorola Photon 4G with Clockworkmod recovery installed.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install MIUI 4 on Motorola Photon 4G:
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page.
- Transfer the downloaded zip file from step 1 to the root of your SD card on the phone.
- Boot into CWM recovery. Use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select options in recovery.
- Perform a wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD cards).
- Then, select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache”, then select “Yes” to confirm. After wiping dalvik cache, select “go back” to go back to the main recovery menu.
- Now, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”.
- Scroll to the ROM’s zip file you transferred in step 2 and select it. Select “Yes” on the next screen to confirm installation.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone and boot into MIUI 4.
MIUI 4 is up and running on your Motorola Photon 4G. Visit the development page to get more info and the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.