MIUI 4 for Galaxy Ace, Makes the Ace the First MDPI Device to Get ICS’s MIUI
The Samsung Galaxy Ace can add a trophy to its mantle as it becomes the first MDPI device to get a port of MIUI 4 based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3. Before this, MIUI 4 was available on only phones with high resolution screens, aka HDPI devices. But now Galaxy Ace owners can boast of having MIUI 4 on their HVGA resolution sporting phones as well.
MIUI 4 is still in its early stages, so it doesn’t yet have as many features as MIUI based on Gingerbread, but it’s got all the bases covered when it comes to the beautiful UI. A lot of themes are already available for it, which has always been the best feature of MIUI.
Do note that due to MIUI 4 itself being under development, this Galaxy Ace port also has a few issues at this time which should be fixed as time goes by. Well, we know you’re excited, so let’s get on with the flashing procedure.
The steps and methods included in this guide are considered risky. Please do not attempt to try this unless you know exactly what you are doing, as it may render your device unusable, and your pocket lighter by the amount it takes to replace it. You have been forewarned!!!
This ROM is compatible only and only with the Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830. Please do not attempt to flash it on any other device as it might damage your device irreparably. We are not responsible for any damage that may be caused to your device. Please check your device model under Settings » About Phone
Developer → nims11
- SMS names not showing unless number is saved in international format.
- Cannot apply whole theme as lockscreen needed to be converted to mdpi so use seperate theme like icons, statusbar, etc.
- Rooted Galaxy Ace with Clockworkmod Recovery installed. You can use this guide to Root your Galaxy Ace
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
- Backup all your data as this procedure will wipe your installed apps and data (but will NOT touch your sdcard). You can refer to this excellent Android Backup Guide
How To Install MIUI 4 on Galaxy Ace
- Download the MIUI 4 ROM file from the original development page.
Filename: MIUI.zip | Password: teammiui
- Extract the file downloaded in step 1 to get the actual ROM file which will also be a zip file.
- Transfer the ROM’s zip file that you obtained in step 2 to your phone’s sdcard.
- Power Off your Galaxy Ace. Wait for 5-6 seconds until you feel the vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Then, press and hold these 2 buttons together: ‘Home+Power’ till the Galaxy Ace logo shows up on-screen. You’ll boot into CWM recovery soon enough. (In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option. Use back key to go back).
- Once in CWM, perform a wipe:
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete.
- Select “wipe cache“ then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Now, select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file you transferred in step 3 above and select it.
- Then select “Yes, Install *your_rom_name*.zip”. The ROM will now start installing.
- Once the installation is complete, go back to the main menu & select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone and boot into MIUI.
If everything went well, you should now be running MIUI 4 based on ICS on your Galaxy Ace. Follow the development page to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts in the comments.