MIUI 4 for Epic 4G Touch. It’s Buggy But It’s Here, Finally!
Good news for all Samsung Epic 4G Touch owners. MIUI 4, based on Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4.0 has finally been ported over to the Epic 4G Touch and made available for download. As you probably know, MIUI brings you ICS along with its own custom UI and features extensive themes support that let you change the entire look of the interface, and other customization options such as improved notification bar toggles.
The ROM is in the alpha stage at this point and is quite buggy with quite a few major issues that prevent it from being usable as a daily driver. So as always, proceed with caution and be careful while trying out the ROM.
This firmware and the guide below is compatible only and only with Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to you or your device, we won’t be held liable — you only will be responsible, you’ve been warned!
Developer → marcusant
- 4G WiMax (DO NOT ASK!!!)
- Themes (create /data/system/theme/)
- Anything broken in CM9
- Display is glitchy
- Some sd glitches
- Important! An Epic 4G Touch running MIUI Gingerbread ROM. You can get it → here.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- Sufficiently charged battery, at least 50% is recommended.
How to Install MIUI 4 on Epic 4G Touch
- Download the latest version of the ROM from the original development page.
- Transfer the file downloaded in step 1 to your internal sdcard (NOT the external micro SD).
- Turn off your phone, then boot into Clockworkmod recovery (CWM). In recovery, use the Volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Power button to select options.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » On the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Yes” on next screen to confirm data wipe (will NOT wipe your SD cards).
- Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard from step 2 and select it. The ROM will now start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot the phone.
Wait a while for the phone to boot up, then enjoy MIUI 4 based on Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 on your Epic 4G Touch. Follow the development page for more info and to get the latest updates on the ROM. Share your thoughts on the ROM in the comments.