With 3GB RAM and Snapdragon 810 processor teamed up inside the HTC One M9, it’s no doubt a speed demon. But that’s not to say he One M9 cannot improve. It definitely can, if you remove the unnecessary apps that hog the system and constantly use RAM, and that’s what the custom we are sharing with you today does, but take note that it is compatible only with Verizon HTC One M9, not any other variant or device.
The Verizon HTC One M9 comes packed with lots of bloatware — Verizon requested apps, that is — that most users don’t need. The custom ROM’s name is Onyx, and it’s version 1.6.1 tat is available for download as of today. ROM consists of several tweaks which make the rom all the more likable.
The ROM is based on HTC firmware v1.33.605.15, and runs on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, topped with Sense 7. Like most of the custom ROMs, it’s been deodexed too, so it’s easy for you to install a theme if you find one. Care has been taken such that the rom is as close to stock HTC build as much, so you will so no modifications to UI and such. ROM promises you nearly the same experience, only faster. Onyx ROM is still in its Beta stage as regards development, but it is stable to be your daily driver. Credit to the ROM goes to Cykhet, thanks!
Speed Up HTC One M9 using custom ROM
- Onyx custom ROM | File: OnyxROM-v1.6.1_Beta_06-08-15_065840.zip (1.4 GB)
To download latest version available of the ROM, check this page.
- Verizon HTC One M9
- Don’t try this on HTC One M9 sets at AT&T, T-Mobile, US Cellular or any other variants
- Don’t try on any other device whatsoever
Warning: Warranty may be void of your device if you follow the procedures given on this page. You only are responsible for your device. We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device and/or its components.
Make sure you backup everything including messages, contacts, photos, documents, media etc. just in case anything goes wrong or you wipe everything accidentally.
- You will need S-Off on your Verizon HTC One M9 for this. By default it’s S-On, in which case you cannot install this ROM. Get S-Off here. To check if you have S-Off, reboot to bootloader mode and see what’s written at the top.
- Next, you will need to unlock bootloader of your Verizon One M9. Look here.
- Then make sure you have the TWRP recovery.
- In case you don’t have them already, be sure to install ADB and ADB drivers.
- Also make sure you have HTC One M9’s drivers.
- Now, download the ROM from above and transfer it to phone’s internal storage.
- Reboot your phone into recovery mode.
- [Optional] It’s highly recommended you create a backup. Select Backup, then do a “Swipe to Back Up” on the bottom of the screen. Wait for the backup to finish, it’s a time consuming process.
- Wipe your device. Once the backup is finished, do this: tap on Wipe, then Advanced wipe, and then select Cache, Dalvik/ART cache and Data. Then do the “Swipe to wipe” at bottom to ready the device for ROM flashing by erasing the cache, dalvik cache and data in one shot.
- Install ROM now. Go back to the main menu of TWRP recovery and select Install. Navigate to the file where you saved your Onyx ROM’s zip file, select it and “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen. Now wait until the flashing process finishes.
- Go to back to recovery’s Main menu, select Reboot » select System.
That’s it. Let us know if you know any help with this via comments section below. We’ll be sure to help you.