LG G2X Ice Cream Sandwich: HellFire Sandwich Rom
LG G2X is a kinda special phone — it was launched with Gingerbread OS but without any custom UI atop it, following the non-nexus-stock style of its predecessor phone, HTC G2, while boosting up to the dual-core processing power. But, it’s not a nexus and LG would only take ages to upgrade the G2x to Ice Cream Sandwich.
With that as scenario, you need a custom rom to the rescue, and here comes the Hellfire Sandwich, which gets you the latest Android OS, v 4.0.3, the Ice Cream Sandwich.
Before you all G2x users out there get too excited with this, know that this is an alpha build of the CM9, which means that while it may provide you a heavenly feel, it will be temporary because Hellfire rom as of now is not so good to become your daily driver.
So, you may have to wait until small — and big — bugs get fixed over the due course of time, which will be anyway way before LG gets you any Ice Cream cakes on G2x officially. So, cheer up and try out the Ice Cream Sandwich right away — guide for which follows!
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. If any damage occurs to you or your device, including a bricked, non-functional device, we won’t be held liable. You have been forewarned!
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the LG G2X. It’s not compatible with any other device. So, be sure to try this only on LG G2X and not any other device.
- Developer → x0xhellx0x
- Removed unnecessary keyboard
- MIUI battery bar
- Boot animation (by jblah)
- Updated Trebuchet
- Removed useless live wallpaper
- Phoenix music player
- Added Torch
- Rooted LG G2X with Clockworkmod Recovery installed.
- Battery charged to minimum of 50%.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
How to Install ice Cream Sandwich Rom ‘HellFire Sandwich’ on LG G2X:
- Download the rom file from the original development page.
- Since this rom comes without Google apps like market, Gmail, etc. you need to download Google Apps add-on package, called gapps, from the link in step 1 above, which upon flashing in step 10 below will get you those apps.
- Transfer both of the downloaded zip files from step 1 and 2 to the root of your external micro SD card on the LG G2X.
- Turn off the phone.
- Boot into Clockworkmod recovery.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » On the next screen, select Backup again.
- Perform a full wipe. First select Wipe data / factory reset » select Yes on the next screen.
- Next, select Wipe Cache Partition » select Yes then
- From the main menu of recovery, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache » select Yes on the next screen. You’re done wiping off the data. Lets flash the rom now.
- From the main menu of recovery, select “Install zip from sdcard” » “Choose zip from sdcard” » scroll to and select the rom’s zip file you downloaded in step 1. Select Yes on next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After the installation is complete, select “go back”, but don’t reboot yet. Select “install zip from sdcard” again, then “choose zip from sdcard”. The browse to the gapps file from step 2 and select it. This will install Google Apps like Market, Gmail, etc.
- After the flashing process is done, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
- The first boot will take time, so wait a while for the phone to boot up, and when it does, enjoy the HellFire Sandwich on LG G2X.
That’s it. You now have the Ice Cream Sandwich installed on your LG G2X. Visit the original development page linked in step 1 above to check development progress and updates. Share your thoughts and problems in the comments below and we’ll do our best to help you out.