The custom ROM development scenes continues to thrive for the Samsung Vibrant (and other Galaxy S variants). RMS ROM is an Android 4.0.4 IMM76I based custom ROM for the Vibrant, ported over by XDA Forum Member toryheal from a similar ROM for the Galaxy S, providing you with an amazing stock Android experience. Android 4.0.4 brings along stability and noticeable performance improvements over 4.0.3, so it is a definitive upgrade over 4.0.3 based ROMs.
Take a look at the features of the ROM:
- Built from Android sources (IMM76I)
- Improved notification bar toggles: long press a toggle to go to related Settings menu; multi-state sound toggle.
- Numeric battery indicator.
- Brightness control in status and notifications bars
- Real and improved auto brightness: brightness really goes down when light decreases.
- Extended power menu with reboot, recovery and screenshot.
- Video face effects working
- Application killing with long press on back button
- Choose storage in Camera application
- Power button shooter in Camera application
- Timer option in Camera application
- T9 Dialer
- Removed “R” roaming indicator for national roaming
- Root, Busybox and SuperSU
- Kernel Glitch
The ROM is a work-in-progress, so some things might not work as intended, and you may encounter a few bugs and issues. However, it is very stable for daily use, so do give it a try.
NOTE, Please Read: Since this is an AOSP based ROM, some features like TouchWiz, or the Camera, Contacts and Messaging applications you’re familiar with on stock Samsung ROMs, are not available. Also, if you use Swype as your preferred keyboard, you will need to download the beta version from beta.swype.com as Swype is also not included in the ROM.
Let’s take a look at how RMS ROM can be installed on your Samsung Vibrant.
This ROM and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Samsung Vibrant, model number T959. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install RMS ROM on Samsung Vibrant
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
Important! Don’t forget to at least make a backup of your APN settings, which you can restore later if your data connection does not work after installing the ROM. Use the backup guide to find out how.
- Make sure you have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on your phone.
- Download the latest version of the ROM to your PC from the official development page.
- Download the Google Apps package. This will install apps like Market, Gmail, etc. which are not present in the ROM.
Download Gapps | Filename: gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
- Transfer the downloaded zip files from step 2 and step 3 to the internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone. Boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, hold down the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons together till the screen turns on, then let them go. The phone will enter recovery soon enough.
In recovery, use Volume keys to scroll up and down and power key to select an option.
- [Optional] Perform a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM, so that you can always restore it from recovery if something does not work out with this rom. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore » On the next screen, select Backup again. Then, go back to the main recovery menu by selecting go back.
- Select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait a while till the data wipe is complete. This will only delete installed apps and settings, but leave all personal files intact.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to the ROM file on the sdcard and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will start installing.
- After ROM installation completes, select choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
- After the Gapps package installation completes, go back to the main recovery menu, then select advanced, followed by Fix permissions.
- After selecting Fix permissions, select go back then select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot into RMS ROM. First boot will take up to 5 minutes, so be patient.