Latest Ice Cream Sandwich Update for Galaxy S2 — XWLP7
Samsung sure seems intent on keeping its flagship Galaxy S2 smartphone at the top of its game by providing regular Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Android 4.0 firmware updates for it. The latest ICS firmware to come out for the S2 is XWLP7, following up after the previous XWLP2 firmware.
Now, as with XWLP2, XWLP7 is primarily aimed at the Russian region, and though it can be flashed by users in other parts of the world too, if you’re not in Russia, it’s best to try the international XXLPQ firmware which we covered → here.
Read on to find out how you can flash the XWLP7 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware on your Galaxy S2.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Galaxy S2, model number i9100. It’s not compatible with any other device, including US variants of S2, the Epic 4G Touch, T-mobile Galaxy S2 and AT&T Galaxy S2 along with Skyrocket. Check your device’s model number in Settings» About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- If you have Samsung’s PC software Kies installed, un-install it first because it may interrupt the flashing process.
- Drivers! — it’s important you’ve the proper drivers installed. Download links below.
32 bit (x86) Windows | 64-bit (x64) Windows
How to Install XWLP7 on Galaxy S2 i9100
- Download the XWLP7 firmware.
Download Link | Filename: I9100XWLP7_I9100OXELP7_SER.zip | Size: 416 MB
- Now, extract the downloaded file I9100XWLP7_I9100OXELP7_SER.zip (from step 1) to any folder, you’ll get these 2 files:
- SS_DL.dll (simply ignore this one)
- Now, download the Odin software which you’ll need to flash the XWLP7 firmware on your Galaxy S2 i9100.
Download Link | Filename: Odin3 v1.83.exe
- Power off your phone and also disconnect it from PC if it’s connected, and don’t forget to keep phone’s battery above 50%, just to be safe. After the screen goes off, wait for vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Boot Galaxy S2 into Download Mode in order to flash the XWLP7 firmware using Odin. For this, press and hold these keys together: Volume Down + Home + Power, you’ll get a Warning! screen.. press Volume up to continue to enter download mode.
- Open Odin (from step 3) — double-click the Odin3 v1.83.exe.
- Connect your phone to PC now. You should get the message “Added! !” under Odin’s message box in the bottom left. If you don’t get this message, then probably there is a problem with drivers. Make sure you’ve proper drivers installed. See point 3 above under Pre-Installation Requirements.
- Now, click the PDA button in Odin, then select the I9100XWLP7_I9100OXELP7_I9100XXLPS_HOME.tar.md5 file you obtained in step 2.1
- Important! Do not touch any other button or make any other changes in Odin except selecting the required file as given in step 8.
- Now, hit the START button to start flashing XWLP7 firmware. When the flashing procedure is finished, your phone will automatically reboot — and when you see the Samsung logo, you can safely unplug the cable. Plus, you’ll get a PASS (with green background) message in the left-most box at the very top of Odin.
IMPORTANT Note: If ODIN gets stuck at some stage and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, do this — disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, turn phone on in Download mode again, and do the procedure again from Step 6. Same if you get FAIL in Odin.
- In case you encounter any roadblocks flashing XWLP7, let us know in the comments below and we’ll try to help you out.
You have successfully updated your Galaxy S2 to XWLP7 Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 firmware. Let us know in the comments how it works out for you.