Oh boy, if we had a penny for each firmware that leaked out for different Samsung devices, we’d probably be up there in the top 10 Forbes millionaires list. Okay, that’s going too far, but anyway. There’s a new Android 2.3.6 firmware that has been leaked for the Verizon Samsung Fascinate, USFC27. Of course, as Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) won’t be appearing on the Fascinate, updates to Gingerbread is as good as it is gonna get, unless you flash custom ROMs to get ICS.
As always, as this is a leaked firmware, expect some bugs and issues to be present, though these leaked firmware are mostly perfectly usable. But even then, take proper backups before trying out the firmware in case anything goes wrong.
Read on to find out how you can install USFC27 Android 2.3.6 firmware on your Verizon Samsung Fascinate.
This firmware and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Verizon Samsung Fascinate, model number SCH-I500. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device’s model number in Settings » About phone.
The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
- This procedure will wipe all your apps, data and settings (but it will NOT touch your SD cards, so don’t worry about those). Backup your Apps and important data — bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc. This Android backup guide would help you.
- If you have Samsung’s PC software Kies installed, un-install it first because it may interrupt the flashing process.
- Drivers! — it’s important you’ve the proper drivers installed. Download links below.
32 bit (x86) Windows | 64-bit (x64) Windows
How to Install USFC27 on Samsung Fascinate
- Download the USFC27 firmware.
Download Link | Filename: SCH-I500_SCH-I500USFC27_US_XAR.rar | Size: 184 MB
- Extract the downloaded file SCH-I500_SCH-I500USFC27_US_XAR.rar (use free software like 7-zip) to any folder, you’ll get these 2 files:
- SS_DL.dll (simply ignore this one)
- Now, download the Odin software which you’ll need to flash the USFC27 firmware on your Fascinate.
Download Link | Filename: Odin3 v1.83.exe
- Power off your phone and also disconnect it from PC if it’s connected, and don’t forget to keep phone’s battery above 50%, just to be safe. After the screen goes off, wait for vibration to confirm complete switch off.
- Boot the phone into Download Mode in order to flash the USFC27 firmware using Odin. For this, plug in the USB cable to the computer, but not to the phone yet. Then while holding down the Volume Down button on the phone, plug in the USB cable to the phone.
- Open Odin (from step 3) — double-click the Odin3 v1.83.exe.
- Connect your phone to PC now. You should get the message “Added! !” under Odin’s message box in the bottom left. If you don’t get this message, then probably there is a problem with drivers. Make sure you’ve proper drivers installed. See point 3 above under Pre-Installation Requirements.
- Now, click the PDA button in Odin, then select the CI500_CS_FC27_GB_REL_KIES.tar file you obtained in step 2.1
- Important! Do not touch any other button or make any other changes in Odin except selecting the required file as given in step 8. Only select the PDA file, leaving all other options as they are.
- Now, hit the START button to start flashing USFC27 firmware. When the flashing procedure is finished, your phone will automatically reboot — and when you see the Samsung logo, you can safely unplug the cable. Plus, you’ll get a PASS (with green background) message in the left-most box at the very top of Odin.
IMPORTANT Note: If ODIN gets stuck at some stage and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, do this — disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, turn phone on in Download mode again, and do the procedure again from Step 6. Same if you get FAIL in Odin.
- In case you encounter any roadblocks flashing USFC27, let us know in the comments below and we’ll try to help you out.